The Best Business Advice

OfferUp employee

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 2.12.36 PM.png

Back in October, we asked our community members what their best business advice was that they have ever received in our Small Business Secrets forum. We received a lot of great responses, so we wanted to highlight a few good ones with you all. Thank you to everyone who shared with us! What is the best advice you've ever received? Share with us in the comments below Smiley Happy

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. – Aristotle"

"Stop being afraid of what could go wrong, and start being excited of what could go right." - Tony Robbins

"Funny story about this one actually. A few years ago I worked at a startup company that did online appointment scheduling, where I assisted users with their account setup. One of my clients ended up being Tony Robbins, and at the time I had no idea who he was. I originally didn't think we'd have a solution for him, and I told him that from the get-go. He helped change my mindset on tackling difficult tasks, and I was able to create a custom solution for him. I just checked, and it looks like he is still using what I set up for him about 5 years later!"

"Love what you do and do what you Love.

"Use your ears, not your mouth..."

"Have a genuine selfless love for people. Always maintaining integrity, making sure that your character is never Tarnished by your behavior. Don’t be afraid to embrace people from all walks of life. That’s just the first step, however, I think that’s the main foundation of success. Loving your Neighbor.”

"One of my pillars of business that I stand by and highly recommend especially to newbies is to “Leed with Revenue”. I think I got it from Gary Keller’s book The Millionaire Real Estate Agent. To me, it means that I cannot spend money until I make money. First work hard to generate a couple of sales then put money “into your business” for growth. Obviously there are startup fees associated with every business. This applies to marketing and advertising and increasing pieces of equipment.. etc. It’s easy for me to cave into the idea “If I just had ... I would generate enough sales to make it worthwhile.” I believe this is a worldly mindset and we need to get back to the basics of raw hard work which trumps any slump you may be in.”

"Honesty is the best policy."

"When you have a good idea, put it down on paper. Think about it from every angle and make sure it works. Move your feet to the site and dirty your hands building it. Dreamers like to talk and the lazy don't like to work; but until you build it, it's just a good idea on a piece of paper to be thrown away. " - circa 1980, a college classmate who owns his own construction firm in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia.”

"Honesty is the best policy in any long-term relationship. Without honesty, there's no trust. Without trust, there's no incentive to revisit. Without re-visitation, there's no reoccurring income."

"We can’t control others, all we can do is control how we react 😉

"Do a good job and your customer will tell 10 people, do a bad job, and they’ll tell everyone"

"Do everything in your power to avoid spending money when you start a business. Build a lean solution that provides value to your customers and only spend money on the absolute essentials at the moment you need them.

“It is always easier to sell or describe an item that is appreciated and adored by the seller which in turn offers up a clear description for a potential buyer. Those darn descriptions that are so brief can be a red flag not only the person is a quick buck kind of seller but also may lose the interest of a potential buyer."

By @12n12

“Advertise, advertise, advertise. The blind cannot eat if they know not where food is..”

"The best business advice I’ve ever gotten is “Never do business with a friend or your significant other “”

"Mine is - It's not about ideas, it's about making ideas happen."

"Treat those as you want to be treated and implement the rules of business all shall be a success.”

"The customer is NOT always right. Some people are dishonest, are constant complainers, or don't pay attention to product descriptions or terms under which items are being sold. It's important to be diplomatic, but that doesn't mean you let customers run over you.”

“The road to success is the attitude” - My late grandfather told me that since I was little, selling oranges, always dreaming of being a “businessman”

"I love quotes but the one I remember most from childhood is: You can’t always control what happens to you, you can control how you respond to it.”

"The best business advice from me would be to advertise and there is a lot of people advertising online which is great to an extent. But I have also been doing mail outs and they seemed to work pretty well at least here in the Houston area I do eviction defense and I also prepare other Texas documents.”

"Identify a need & offer a solution that nobody else offers or provide a solution in a way that nobody else offers.”
6 Comments
Neighbor

I have found if you are an educator first and foremost about a product you can look someone squarely in the eye and state it is the best. Then along with being a teacher you should also be prepared to be a preacher and a lawyer in the field or product you are associated with. 

Confidence is not arrogance, it is facts proven time and time again.

What motivates you isn't monitary gain or the love of money.

I say it like this, ( " The people are my passion - My business is my art." ) 

Failure is not an option. If you do not believe in what you do, then don't do it.

Neighbor

What motivates you isn't monitary gain or the love of money.

I say it like this, ( " The people are my passion - My business is my art." ) 

Failure is not an option. If you do not believe in what you do, then don't do it. ---- * This is just a perfect passage!!!! Thanks a million 

Community Manager

Love that, @Tony2000!! Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Neighbor

Be responsive, truthful, energetic and consistent. 

Community Manager

Totally agree, @HarryNM-OK!! Welcome Smiley Very Happy

Truth, Honesty, Transparency for healthy nourishing relationships.