Top Cars and Selling Tips!

Community Manager

Last year brought about the launch of the OfferUp Autos program, intended to reduce the friction between reputable sellers and motivated buyers. With all this activity, we were curious about the trends in the OfferUp used car market. What are people buying and why?

Take a look at our autos map of the United States, featuring the top cars in each state.

Top Cars.png

You can read more about these top-selling cars here!

Are you looking to sell your car on OfferUp? We've posted tips on the best ways to inspect a vehicle before purchasing, but have you read out 5 tips on making more money when selling a car? The main OfferUp blog posted some great tips - here's a little teaser!
  1. Organize and advertise the service history. One of the first things a buyer will ask about is service history. That means either requesting to see the physical records for all maintenance and repairs or simply asking how well it was maintained. If you’ve kept a meticulous record of every time the car was serviced, that should be one of the first things mentioned in the vehicle’s description when listing it online. Once you post the car and have a buyer coming to see it, it’s a good idea to sort the records by date so there’s a clear and accurate picture of the car’s past. A good service history makes the car more valuable and attracts better buyers, so consider asking your mechanic for old records if you misplaced them over the years.
  2. Invest in the vehicle history report. It’s easy to confuse the service history with vehicle history. The service history shares specifics about when the car was last in the shop and the work performed on it. With the service history, either you have it or you don’t — it’s difficult/impossible to track down a car’s full service history without having the records in hand. The vehicle history is like the permanent record of a car, tracked by the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). This report is a must-have for buyers, as it details the condition, title status, and whether or not the car has accident damage. Having it on hand for your customer when they come to see the car shows you’re a trustworthy and thoughtful seller and might make a buyer more likely to buy from you rather than someone else. Carfax is a popular provider for vehicle history reports but is one of the most expensive with a single report costing $40. By using OfferUp to buy and sell cars, you can purchase the VinAudit report for the low price of just $1.99 and view it instantly.

You can read the rest of the money making tips here.

Were you suprised by any of the top selling cars? Let us know in the comments below!

8 Comments
Level 3

Hello I sent you a message a couple times why you not reply me back?? Did you see my text in you private message?? Please let’s me know 

Neighbor

Don't know if this is the right place to post this,but,come on people,when you are selling a vehicle,take the little time involved to write down basic info....such as....engine size,automatic or manual,current mileage,4wd or rear wheel drive only.

Not much more effort and can produce far better results.

Captain

Scammers are on here be alert! 

Neighbor

I would like the option to filter by dealer and private sellers. 90% of my searches seem to be dealer listings and its frustrating because I'm specifically searching for something on the $5-10k price that can buy cash and am shown $20k listings with finance etc. 

Level 1

This is a great idea! Perhaps to finally get the scammers away.

Neighbor

I am irritated, and im not seeing a proper place to address the issue im having.  When posting a vehicle, the options for the vehicle model are a multiple choice selection. It doesnt list the correct model options for nissan maximas. It only lists choices of which are all manual transmission. The vehicle is a automatic and that choice is NOT there.  This is frustrating. Any advice@linkstomembers?

Neighbor

Rayetta_

Maybe try in the postings body description type in that it's an automatic Nissan Maxima. That's the best idea I could come up with until hopefully the options change. Good luck 

L11
Level 9

@REMEMBRANCE, @Mj_206

Here it is! All the questions I needed answers to yesterday when selling old car. It sold & all went well. Glad to read this & again a little bit more knowledge...@L11