Top Three Tips For Selling Items

shutterstock_565936849.jpg

About a month ago, we asked our community members what they thought were their top three tips for selling items. We loved them and thought they'd be extremely helpful to many, so decided to write a blog post highlighting a few points they made Smiley Happy Hope you enjoy and don't forget to visit the Pro Tips forum for more! Thank you to everyone below for sharing with us! 

From @_Ed_

I've found these three tips to be basic, yet effective:

1. Clear and appealing photos
  2. Clean whatever it is you're selling (be as thorough as possible)
  3. Reasonable pricing (look to see what your item goes for on eBay and similar sites

From @Decades_Antqs

1. Clean your items!
  2. Test your items if electrical. I always cut the cord off vintage items that are "iffy" and tell the buyer it needs to be rewired. I do not want to be responsible for fires or electrocutions! This is a practice I have long practiced while selling on eBay and Etsy.
  3. Reveal known issues! Scratches, dings, damage, oder*, stains* (*furniture - I hope you are not selling stained/smelly clothing)

From @Mikewidener

1. Make sure your pic or pics will grab the attention of the buyer (appealing to the eye)
  2. Be honest
  3. Make sure the words you use to describe your property compliment your already awesome pic. The right picture with the right words and description could honestly put you head and shoulders above your competition. 

From @KingKrawczyk

1. Good and clear pictures. If you have hazy or unclear pictures, it looks like you're trying to hide the condition.
  2. A description that is to the point and has enough, but not long and drawn out.
  3. Be flexible in selling locations. If you are not willing to meet in the middle, you're most likely not going to go make the sale. 

From @Youinvme

1. Price. When you're creating your listing, you see pricing recommendations based on similar items that are currently active or have sold on eBay. This information gives you insight into how you price your item. For your active listings that haven't sold in a few weeks, provide a price reduction as well, to help improve your chances of selling your item. 
  2. Title. The title is one of the most important aspects of your listing. Our title recommendations help you identify important words such as brand name, size, or other descriptive information that a buyer might use in their search. The way you word the title affects whether your listing appears in buyer search results. Learn more about writing a good title and description. 
  3. Item specifics. Entering item specifics ensures that buyers find your listing when they use this information in their searches. 
  4. (EXTRA!) Photos. High-quality photos can help you increase sales, give your buyers a more accurate idea what to expect, and distinguish your listing from others. Learn more about taking great photos. Details, background, clean area, maybe a theme to what you are selling. 

From @Beltrani

1. Sell unique items rare to find in stores.
  2. Have competitive prices for items that are available in other stores.
  3. Be nice with people and give your customers some free small items when possible.
55 Comments

ALL GOOD STUFF! 

@Decades_Antqs Yeah! And thanks for sharing yours! Smiley Happy

Neighbor
Does anyone know how to find a user after the post was deleted?

@Kristi Hey Kristi, are you referring to people who post something on the app and then archive it, or are you talking about people posting here and deleting their posts? Lmk Smiley Happy

My name is marycastillo i posted up a electric wheelchair have not got no offers. Can anyone help give me feed back as in what I'm doing wrong.

@Samarripafrog Hi! I went to your account and it looks like you have great photos! I'd try adding a bit more in the description about it, maybe include the year it was made, etc. I'd also post this in the Pro Tips forum asking other fellow community members for advice so they can help Smiley Happy 

Neighbor

I’m selling an item I do all of the above take good pictures very descriptive about the item and I’m honest about the item as well as fair on pricing an item. 

Buyers in my experience will always try to pay next to nothing when we do agree on a price they never contact me back to arrange pickup or they are no shows. Other issues I have, no matter how much I for about the item I put. 52” lcd flat screen tv. Buyer will ask is it “lcd tv” or “led tv”  it like why do I even bother..

Level 6

People usually don’t read the post, it’s good that you make your post very descriptive, but I doesn’t hurt to answer these kind of questions even if it’s very clear from the post, sometimes when people ask me questions like that also message them other details just to cover everything, for whatever reason people tend to spend more time texting than reading even if texting involve reading...

as for selling your wheelchair, that’s a tough one because it’s sort of a niche item, and it’s also not an impulse buy type of thing. People who need wheelchairs are older and also less likely to use these kind of apps, either post in areas with more people who might be able to use it or price it so cheap and let the resellers make you an offer.

Level 6

Holy crap! Where did you get a black elephant? So jealous!

Level 2

Great Tips! Thank you.

I have a terrible camera on my phone. I've also noticed that the picture shrinks after posting... what can I do about that? 

Thanks for all your tips... 

...V...

#1: Please state the size of an item, many times there is no stated size for clothes, shoes, hats, belts etc....you just end up with several unneeded messages.

#2: Post a photo that best shows your item FIRST (as the first photo is the one that comes up on the feed) as people scroll thru the post, if your photo is unrecognizable...they will pass up your idem.

#3: If you are firm on a price, please say so, or don't be upset if people ask.

Neighbor

I follow all those tips and I'm not selling :/

@Mfr- What are you trying to sell? Smiley Happy

I really cannot stand the title being default.. like, blue car.  Lol if you're trying to sell something , im pretty sure people will not buy anything without asking the questions that should have been listed in description right away..  now, im quite the opposite, I may give too much details and info , but I'd much rather list everything I know about an item than not enough..  my past year of sales were between 2 and 3k so I think it works..  along with being open and not sounding almost afraid to answer a question with more than 2 words ..  oh, I also sell things for usually much cheaper than anywhere else as I think prices should be, otherwise it would be sold already right? If new price of something nice was 1500, i usually get one third - 500 . Asking for 1250 isn't going to do it. And don't be afraid to ask to trade..  it's in the name and sometimes works out even better than selling..  from my last year I've been on here at least I've noticed

Now back to taking many many more pics.. and as said, clean... , Detailed information, and a good price or offer on trade will have you getting notices on here all day!!  Good luck -austin

I successfully sell on Facebook, Etsy, (previously EBay- fees are ridiculous in my opinion and I opted out at my 100th 5* review), and Poshmark... And, let me tell you... 

this article has some valid points. Truth be told.. most people don’t read the description. First and last sentence (and maybe measurements) are most important. But.. I wouldn’t waste much time on it. 

Here’s what REALLY MATTERS.. and what doubled my sales on all platforms... your photos need to be BRIGHT (natural lighting is key)- white backgrounds don’t really help.. just keep the noise level down. If your grandma is standing behind your item.. waving at the camera.. chances are nobody will even know what your selling. 

And please don’t edit your photos.. e.g changing colors, sharpening, adding stickers, etc. 

... this looks really bad. You don’t look professional or trustworthy. People subconsciously sense when the effort isn’t put into your listing. And make sure to add as many photos.. as possible. 

Even the price.. isn’t THAT important. Because when most people find exactly, what their looking for and more... price seems to be less of a factor (Unless they are cheap. But when your on here to make money or build your business... this is not the type of Buyer you want to attract). Just be reasonable and post it’s REAL value. 

GE
Block Captain

👍on tips.   Also I found rating the buyer helps as well. They're more likely than not to rate u back. Everyone likes to hear good thoughts about them. Again thanks for tips above..

Neighbor

This is my first time to sell something on any form like this! I've gotten several offers! No sale yet!!! 

I will keep looking at it,tho...

Thanks for all your help

@Chrissygirl So glad you've gotten several offers from these tips! Let us know once you make your first sale! Smiley Happy

Level 2

I think the ability to add an attachment in chat with potential buyer would be a great addition. Sometimes you think you took a picture from every angle possible, only to be asked for another picture, to some might not be too much to post on something like Google+ and just send link, but for me in the rural area I live in and no internet service. Posting to a site and waiting for the link to share with someone, could be a sale lose because they feel your ignoring them or just can't be bothered. Thanks for taking a minute to look at my post.

Happy selling y'all

Great tips very informational. 

Neighbor

Be prepared for flakes, no shows, low ballers.

The buyer should be prepared to travel more than the seller, searching by location, item, and price already.  Or the buyer should be prepared to make concessions by either prepaying, or paying extra for the seller's travel time/gas.

Double check that offer up is selling advertising time of products that you're selling and undercutting your prices. 

Level 2

What would you say is the best way to look up the value of an item? I already go to Ebay and search the exact item if I can find it then click sold items and sale final/ complete. I have pretty good luck this way I also have Bakudo the price scanning app which half the time it cannot find the item. I thought someone told me once that you can type in the number of the item and it will pull up any item there is. Is this true? I cant remeber what number I was to use and where to type it into lol anybody able to help a Sista out lolSmiley LOL

CM3
Block Captain

Thanks for all the Great tips, I will keep these things in mind. ☺️I made my first sale of my Body Oils today!! Thanks OfferUp and My Buyer.

Level 2

I think when it comes down to selling something fast you of course got to have good pictures and your item has to be clean and looking good, appearance can go a long ways but i think that the most important thing is a detailed description. I see so many posts that have a title and nothing in the description. People want to know what they are buying and if the information isnt there they will just move on to the next one that is instead of taking the time to ask you about it. Anyways, thats my 2 cents.

Very nice tips, will be using them for sure.

Block Captain

Anyone ever receive fake money ?

Level 2

Great tips I will be putting to use!  

Helpful tips. I can mentally gauge how I post things with this. Just discovered the community forums. Cool

Level 2

Post your item around noon. Always seem to get more traffic and replies. 

Block Captain

Thanks for all the great tips. I’m going to try them out. 

Level 2

Great tips!

Elin wrote:

About a month ago, we asked our community members what they thought were their top three tips for selling items. We loved them and thought they'd be extremely helpful to many, so decided to write a blog post highlighting a few points they made Smiley Happy Hope you enjoy and don't forget to visit the Pro Tips forum for more! Thank you to everyone below for sharing with us! 

From @_Ed_

3. Reasonable pricing (look to see what your item goes for on eBay and similar sites

From @Decades_Antqs

1. Clean your items!
  2. Test your items if electrical. I always cut the cord off vintage items that are "iffy" and tell the buyer it needs to be rewired. I do not want to be responsible for fires or electrocutions! This is a practice I have long practiced while selling on eBay and Etsy.
  3. Reveal known issues! Scratches, dings, damage, oder*, stains* (*furniture - I hope you are not selling stained/smelly clothing)

From @Mikewidener

1. Make sure your pic or pics will grab the attention of the buyer (appealing to the eye)
  2. Be honest
  3. Make sure the words you use to describe your property compliment your already awesome pic. The right picture with the right words and description could honestly put you head and shoulders above your competition. 

From @KingKrawczyk

1. Good and clear pictures. If you have hazy or unclear pictures, it looks like you're trying to hide the condition.
  2. A description that is to the point and has enough, but not long and drawn out.
  3. Be flexible in selling locations. If you are not willing to meet in the middle, you're most likely not going to go make the sale. 

From @Youinvme

1. Price. When you're creating your listing, you see pricing recommendations based on similar items that are currently active or have sold on eBay. This information gives you insight into how you price your item. For your active listings that haven't sold in a few weeks, provide a price reduction as well, to help improve your chances of selling your item. 
  2. Title. The title is one of the most important aspects of your listing. Our title recommendations help you identify important words such as brand name, size, or other descriptive information that a buyer might use in their search. The way you word the title affects whether your listing appears in buyer search results. Learn more about writing a good title and description. 
  3. Item specifics. Entering item specifics ensures that buyers find your listing when they use this information in their searches. 
  4. (EXTRA!) Photos. High-quality photos can help you increase sales, give your buyers a more accurate idea what to expect, and distinguish your listing from others. Learn more about taking great photos. Details, background, clean area, maybe a theme to what you are selling. 

Great tips!!

Neighbor

Great advise, 😂😂😂

Level 1

Great tips! Thanks for sharing!

Sweet good info

Best advice I can give is bring an eye witness with you. Incase the seller sells you something that later on doesn't work. But the description sez "new". At least you'll have a 2nd set of eyes that might notice something you didn't and possibly help in catching the perp who decides to not contact you. Or remove their account. 

Moral of the story. Always check the item being sold. ESPECIALLY if its an electronic/electrical item. Open it and test it if you have to. Or have the seller do it. NEVER EVER take their word for it. If they give you the runaround, leave.... 

Why? Because if you get jipped, theres no way to track that person down and OfferUp doesnt hold those accountable. 

Block Captain
Hello I an Sandra, one thing I have seen is people dont clean there used products before selling, it is very important to make your sales look like a jewl. Also if you are not selling for a while mabe negotiate to lessen the price. Making money out of our used items is what we do. Not store up for buyers to just look at.
Block Captain

1. Knowledge of product you are selling 

2. Communicate as soon as possible

3. Pictures posted should be clear with clean product.

Block Captain

As far as pricing an item, you'd think going lower on the price with anything would be more effective, but I've found that making the item higher , more to what it's really worth, àlot of times sells quicker. I'm guessing this is because people think if your selling an item for cheap especially if it's way cheaper than what it's worth, they think there must be something wrong with it.

Thanks, I have men suit sets which includes shirt and tie for $65.00, Thanks really good information.

Neighbor

Also a good idea that has worked for me is creating a  phrase in the description box associated with item for sale that grabs the buyers attention. Use CAPITAL letters or exlcamations!!!

Neighbor

Something I've noticed quite a bit lately is sellers asking way too much for their item. Not sure why the rash of sellers doing this has spiked recently but PLEASE people, be realistic. If your fabric couch is torn at several seams, the fact that YOU loved it & enjoyed it for so long is NOT reason enough to think it should fetch you a cool $250. Torn at the seams, to me, equals "freebie" or super cheap (if it's an especially nice couch otherwise. And I mean especially nice...).   

And please be honest with yourself as to whether or not what you are selling is seriously outdated/out of style.  Some things are timeless & never go out of style while others may increase in value with every day that passes. But some things just had their moment & it's over.  If that's the case, there may still be a market for it but probably at a different/lower price point. Paying $800 for your black lacquer bedroom suite 20 years ago does not mean it's still worth $700 due to the "MINT" condition it's in.  It's just not.  Not trying to be rude, just honest.

Block Captain

Hi my name is Dalia Rosas,I been in offer up for little over year I been very successfull.I'm single mom believe  or not this has been my bread and butter .I just changed jobs doing samething, I just posted to everyone I'm new location that I only work of appointments, .good thing I'm now able to do additional discounts on cars if they have schedule appointment. Now I'm not able to reply to their messages it says error . I'm still getting alerts I'm  still able to continue posting .

@Rosasde Hi Smiley Happy If you sent the same message to everyone, it flagged you as someone who was spamming, which we don't allow. Make sure next time to follow our Posting Rules and you should be fine moving forward! 

Great tips.  I have been a seller in Offerup for less then one year, however, i had a physical store at at mall near my home, in Orlando FL,  and i can honestly say, that most of my costumers came back to buy more from me, because items where, clean, organized and on a fair price.

Thank you all. 

Level 2

I have several items and feel that they are explained very well in detail. I have sold nothing. Can anyone share with me what am I doing wrong?

Block Captain

Great tips thanks 

Level 2

@Elinwrote:

From @_Ed_

From @Decades_Antqs

1. Clean your items!

From @Mikewidener

2. Be honest

From @KingKrawczyk

From @Youinvme

@Lin1 I have been OfferUp for six months now. I have had just a couple of sales. Just like everywhere else, it takes time to be seen over all the listings and it takes time to establish presence. If you are lucky you have just what they need or want and have an immediate sale. It is not, unfortunately, a "post it and they will buy"  situation. The very same thing happens on other Ecommerce sites as well. It takes patience and diligence. Good Luck! Smiley Very Happy

Neighbor

You have great points and I hope everyone posting items uses them.  One thing I want to add is making sure items have complete, accurate measurements . So many times I've needed to know measurements which I end up having to message the person,

Wait for a response, sometimes hours, then have them later ask me if I'm interested. Basicly I just needed to know the measurements. I've gotten to the point now that I just move on to others that have measurements.  I bet lots of others do the same thing. The whole point of this site is to sell our items. Why not make it easy on people to buy.

Thanks for your tip @Sheridan!