A lot of Fraud lately

SOLVED
Level 1

First of all Love offerUp!   I just got back from buying 3 computer Hard Drive that the seller said it was in good working condition.  Sata and 7200 RPM, 1T bye of data.  Well not only was this false and misleading, there was only 1 drive that had 1T of data.. the other was smaller.  

Although by itself I can over look the false or misleading post, all 3 drive was defective or dead.  Being a computer tech for over 30+ hard drive is no big deal.  Not only windows fail to reconized this these drive, after using professional hard drive recovery tools and software does not help.  These drive are garbage and is defective.  They seller passed on known bad goods to someone else.   

There no recourse to prevent these bad seller from doing the same to other people!  Although I been very careful always, there nothing you can do in some instances.  There people who are outright attacked and mugged because of advert in Offerup. We need to have a way for user to report these people.  You can even give them a bad rating as the seller do not have to rate you therefor you can not rate them or give them bad mark back.  In essance people can continue to keep scaming and stealing, lying and pushing bad stuffs to others.  This got to stop and OfferUp need to protect the community of user as a whole from these shady people.  There need to be a way to report this activity and have these account ban or have transaction.

OfferUP please work on This!  If not, offerUp will be known as another way for scammer to work out of and people will not trust this app anymore

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 9
@dinhscot I am sorry that happened to you. That is awful.
Moving forward these types of items may not be something you want to purchase again through this app. You want the ability to
know the condition before you buy. There is no way in truth to test that out for that type of item until you spend time testing it with other software. That isn't possible to do that, in a meetup/pick up place.

It is sad that there are people that do this sort of thing. You can report this by going to their profile. There will be a report button there!

Also please check out the detailed profile of a buyer before you buy anything further. How many stars, what is their response time, are they a TruMember etc. Have they had several transactions? You want to really check out that sellers profile before buying anything. There are many nice and wonderful sellers on this app. But as with any app you will get types like that too.

Please report this person to OfferUp.

Have a great day. 😄
Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Level 9
@dinhscot I am sorry that happened to you. That is awful.
Moving forward these types of items may not be something you want to purchase again through this app. You want the ability to
know the condition before you buy. There is no way in truth to test that out for that type of item until you spend time testing it with other software. That isn't possible to do that, in a meetup/pick up place.

It is sad that there are people that do this sort of thing. You can report this by going to their profile. There will be a report button there!

Also please check out the detailed profile of a buyer before you buy anything further. How many stars, what is their response time, are they a TruMember etc. Have they had several transactions? You want to really check out that sellers profile before buying anything. There are many nice and wonderful sellers on this app. But as with any app you will get types like that too.

Please report this person to OfferUp.

Have a great day. 😄
Tags (1)
Community Helper
Hi @dinhscot welcome to the OfferUp Community forum,
As @sl27 was saying please report this kind of behavior to the OfferUp team, so they can investigate people like this and take the appropriate action.
Level 1

Thank you guys for your support!   I know its bawyer beware but sometimes you hot on a deal you want to snag it before someone else.  It its really true for the saying if its too good to be true its usally is.  I really love offerup and meeting new people doing do, but sometimes these Scam do happen, we need a way to report this to the community of such so that others won't fall for the same person over and over again.  

Scam left uncheck will ruined offerup and make good people like us want to not use it all together...

Tags (1)
Level 1

Also how do you report?  I don't see any way to report people bad dealing.  I have completed over 30 transaction and for the most part been happy with the trade.   However, you bound to run into shaddy people as I have that sell dangerious items such as unsafe tires or purposely sell something that is defective and they know it.  Its the take the money now and run sort of people...

Level 9
@dinhscot

Go to their profile → there will be a little flag top right → it will ask you why you want to report.

It will also give you the option to block this user from your end after you complete the report form.
Ooh
Level 3
@ Dinscot: TOTALLY AGREE!

OFFER-UP is such a wonderful platform to buy and Sell things, but unfortunately, dishonest people will weave their way in every situation and pladform and Offer-up is not exempt. There MUST be a way for OFFER-UP to make it POSSIBLE to rate a person who knownly misrepresented items or comitted some crime with Buyers or Sellers some at least we know who we might be dealing with.
We now have the choices--RELIABLE, COMMUNICATIVE, ON- TIME etc.
OFFER-UP....Why not ADD some more options to RATE Byers or Sellers.

SUGGESTIONS:
(1) "MISREPRESENTED KNOWN BROKEN ITEM.
(2) "ITEM ADVERTISED WAS NON-EXISTENT"
(3) "MUGGED IN MEET-UP"

Dinscot wrote: "There people who are outright attacked and mugged because of advert in Offerup. We need to have a way for user to report these people. You can even give them a bad rating as the seller do not have to rate you there for you can not rate them or give them bad rating."
Level 1
Me & my husband have been looking for a vehicle, & every single ad minus 3 have been fraud, wanting us to wire the money to them, & then a shipping company will deliver it within 5 days. Even the dealerships advertising are full of it. They dont return our phone calls or texts. One vehicle was listed for $8000, but when he did reply back the price went up to $11,000. I'm so discouraged anymore.
Level 1
If the site don't allow commercial business with whole sale people will get ripped off. Never buy electronics unless u can test it some how now days there is inverters for $20 buy it go as u like 50v or 120v u can power up anything use those if buying something that needs to be turned on u must have this product. Never send item and they tell you you will get money from PayPal once u have the e mail from PayPal they tell u to post it. Never do that send them nothing because I lost iPhone 8s just like this the message from PayPal people and them are so similar that u can be fooled trust me it has happened to the best of us. Hope helped
Neighbor
How do you report