Beware if buyers who are phishing for phone numbers

Highlighted
Level 7

I noticed more and more lately I'm getting buyers who are usually brand new and asking about buying some of my more unpopular items, many times it's stuff that has been posted fir a long time or sometimes new stuff that has very few views in it's first few days posted.

They immediately say they want to buy and ask for address but then say that I need to text them and post their number. I used to ask why they need a text when the app provides this service right hear and now? Never get an answer do now I just tell them I'm on a tablet and can't make calls or text..

The other one is they ask for me to send them more pictures which I simply say no and tell them to come take a look at it in person or ask what they need to see and I can provide that info right now or I can add a picture to my post. Either way never hear back from them again. Now remember these people want to buy this right now, every time they act like they're ready to leave but yet the won't reply back once you say no to their text it picture request. I'm sure once they get your number you won't hear back either but it's too late to stop them once you get fooled into sending your info 📵👽

4 REPLIES 4
Level 9

@zinda   There is no need for anyone to have your number. Everything stays in the app. They can contact you in the app. They can talk to you in the app. Always stay in the OfferUp app. I’ve been on here for sometime now. I have never given anyone my number. No need to. We talk, meet, all in the OfferUp app. Anything else is at your own risk. Good luck.

Level 7
I know that! That's why I posted this to warn others! Was it that hard to figure out? Was I not clear iny post that this has become something that fake buyers are doing to try and get your phone number? I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me when the one who posted this warning.
Level 9

@zinda   So sorry I affended you. Wasn’t my intention to do so. No, it wasn’t hard to figure out where your coming from. Have a great day.

Level 9

@zinda  It’s all good.