Disabled and unable to leave home

SOLVED
Level 1
I am 52 years old and disabled, I am on oxygen twenty four hours a day, I don’t drive and it is very hard to find spur of the moment transportation that’s affordable to go out and meet a buyer or seller. I have been a member since 2017 and I have true you standing, I have verified who I say I am and have a very good honest reputation. I do ok but I loose out on a lot of opportunities when I tell someone I am unable to leave my home to meet can they please meet me at my home. I live in a secured apartment building with 24 hour security guard, but when I ask if the buyer or seller is able to come to me if I give them a discount for there trouble a lot of times the person will just stop responding to me, thinking I’m some kind of pervert or criminal trying to lure them into my grasp for lack of a better word. Do any of the other members or users have any advice they can give me that could help out in this situation. Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Helper
Yes... @Matthew241
Safety is an important factor in the online marketplace biz and OfferUp is all about safety for their users!
Personally...
Would consider your request only if:
1. Had a friend with me
2. Got a good vibe when
communicating
3. Daytime hours only!
Some users will feel comfortable meeting up at your residence, it is a personal call. Take Care 👍☺

5 REPLIES 5
Community Helper
Yes... @Matthew241
Safety is an important factor in the online marketplace biz and OfferUp is all about safety for their users!
Personally...
Would consider your request only if:
1. Had a friend with me
2. Got a good vibe when
communicating
3. Daytime hours only!
Some users will feel comfortable meeting up at your residence, it is a personal call. Take Care 👍☺

Level 1
Thank you, as I said I have missed out on a few items by sellers not responding when I ask them if they can deliver the item. I understand there concerns about going to someone’s home. It would just be nice if they didn’t immediately jump to a conclusion about my motivation for asking if they could deliver the item to my home. Thank you for your input, it’s very helpful
Level 1

I am sorry for your condition but never meet buyers at their homes.  I also wish people who want people to come to their homes like you would find a friend to go on your behalf or drive you to the meetup.  There are a lot of scammers and people who could rob you meeting them in a public location you aren't familiar with like a house - or i can't even imagine how many fake buyers would use that to make sellers go out of their way to meet them and not be there - lots of strange and fake buyers out there.  I always meet up at a busy shopping center close to the store.

You may need to purchase online instead.

Highlighted
Community Helper
Also... @Matthew241
Your TruYou status, star rating, length of time, pic etc...
are all important factors users take into consideration when delivering an item to a potential buyer.
Try not to take a "no" too personal.
"If the door doesn't open...
it wasn't your door".
Tags (1)
Level 1
Yes I have had to deal with the fake buyers, just this past Friday evening I had a guy on here agree to a meeting place to purchase a iPhone from me, I believed ever word he said so I payed Uber to transport me to the meeting place that we had agreed upon at a huge price. I waited and waited all the time talking with this guy through the app and him saying I’m almost there, this went on for over a hour, the buyer never showed up, I had to pay the Uber driver for the time he set there and waited on me. It costed me more for all of that than almost what I would have got for the iPhone had the fake buyer showed up. I learnt my lesson, that will not happen any more. I reported the member but there isn’t anything that could really be done. Thank you for your input on this