Dont give/ask for phone numbers!

@Lapua I was just responding to your suggestion that verbal conversations are somehow better than written ones in an accountability sense.  That's not the case, of course documented conversations are better in that sense than a verbal conversation with no documentation.  You can google for 'are text messages legally binding' if you don't believe me.

Personally, I've never had a problem using text messages.  All the nonsense I was talking about was from people who wanted a phone conversation.  I'm not a salesperson, I'm not customer service, I have no interest in calling anyone and trying to convince them of anything.  It's much easier to just set up a time and place to look at the item.

Level 9

@alakani

By the way, I aslo accept blocked calls. The purpose of a voice/phone conversation is to determine the commitment level of the other party and to weed out all doubt. In this day in age, if someone is willing to put aside a few minutes of their day for a phone call, it means something.

Your answer is "google it"...really? A contract has to be enforceable. Try issuing a subpoena for the actual messages from OU's AWS servers, in addition for the identity of a seller or buyer for a civil case or even small claims court. You may want to read the TOS first.

Highlighted
Level 9

@alakani wrote:

Personally, I've never had a problem using text messages.   It's much easier to just set up a time and place to look at the item.

Intheory, your statment sounds great.   In reality, majority of the forum users that have posted in regards to "flakes/no"shows will disagree with you, since people don't show up.  Personally, I don't have ANY problems with flakes or "no shows".

@Lapua I've not found a phone conversation to be necessary for that purpose.  I've never had anyone flake after setting up a time and place to meet.  I've only had one person who after meeting wanted the item for cheaper than I wanted to sell it for.  I refused, and sold the same item later that day for full price to someone who was super excited to have found a good deal.

I'll agree that it means something if someone is willing to put aside time for a phone call to strangers.  It means that they're desperate for human interaction (I'm not a therapist), desperate for money (I'll pass on getting ripped off), etc.

That's not to say that I haven't exchanged numbers a few times after meeting someone.  One time I was selling some music gear and the guy who bought it was in a band, we got to chatting for a while, and we've been friends ever since.  One time I was buying some saute pans, we got to chatting about cooking, etc.

Yes my answer is google it.  Almost all of human knowledge at your fingertips if you know how to use it.  I'm not the sort of person to sue anyone, but should you want to then yes, OfferUp is a business subject to US laws, your lawyer can subpoena them for someone's personal information if there's documented evidence of breach of contract.

Level 9

@alakani wrote:

Yes my answer is google it.  Almost all of human knowledge at your fingertips if you know how to use it.  I'm not the sort of person to sue anyone, but should you want to then yes, OfferUp is a business subject to US laws, your lawyer can subpoena them for someone's personal information if there's documented evidence of breach of contract.

The above quote takes the cake.  

Perhaps you reside in a Utopia, where everythng goes your way, but most of us reside in reality.

What I posted on here was a potential alternative/solution for those having problems with "FLAKES and NO SNOWS". You don't have that problem...good for you. Do you have an effective solution for people that have complained about ""FLAKES and NO SNOWS" (other than your good luck)?

@Lapua Is that what this thread is about?  It didn't sound like OP had a problem with flakes either.

In my experience, the best way to ensure things go smoothly whether as a buyer or a seller is to communicate openly, honestly, and with a concise scope and firm boundaries.

This means asking or answering reasonable questions that aren't already in the ad, then promptly setting up a time and place to meet.  Anything beyond that and it's not worth wasting time on - that's how I weed out the flakes and tire kickers.  I don't deal with holding items, phone calls, excessive chatting or rescheduling, unreasonable offers, or any other nonsense.

Level 9

@alakani

The OP expressed anxiety because the other party asked for a phone number, which she declined, but expressed her concern.
My initial reply to the OP...Jassmin14:

"Exchanging phone numbers gives both parties some level of confidence in the commitment for the transaction to be fulfilled, which can also be counted as a "verbal" contract. Communicating solely using OfferUp's messaging system is no different then sending emails, as there is NO ACCOUNTABILITY."

YOU TAGGED ME into the conversation,so you were replying to my statement. I did indicate the reason as to why people exchange phone numbers? In essence, it was to reassure accountability. Now what is the oppposite of accountability?

Yes, it would be great if everything always goes as planned via just OU's messaging system, but that is not the reality or many on the forums. Exchanging phone numbers has worked better than fine on CL, which is credited for more in-person transactions than all the other selling apps combined.

To clarify, OU is no safer WITHOUT the exchanging of phone numbers...just google it...you will see the barrage of robberies, murders,etc.

@Lapua Is there some reason you're shouting?  I'm still not clear on how an undocumented verbal conversation makes anyone more, rather than less, accountable than a written conversation.  I'm just not logically seeing that as a reason people would need to exchange phone numbers, given the facts I've shared.

I would agree from a safety standpoint it makes little difference, but from an avoiding annoying and manipulative people standpoint, it makes a world of difference.  Most people understand, they're busy too and don't really enjoy talking on the phone to strangers either.  It's just a handful of people that seem to insist on it, and they've rarely been pleasant, honest people in my experience.

FWIW, I don't give out my number on CL either.  I don't even give it out to business clients.  Friends and family only.

Level 9

@alakani

You replied to my initial statement, but only mentioned the OP, whom you did not tag, so I was making it clear, since you seemed confused by asking about the OP.  We seem to be at an impasse as  to the "facts".  I share logical info on here since I reside in  the same reality as the rest of the forum users.

CL has the number listing option because of its efficiency in communication.   Why would a logical person like you be manipulated?    

You must be one lucky person, living in Utopia.

Level 3
Hi I'm still pretty new here and I was just asked for my phone number and I said we may communicate through the app. That I've communicated with buyers and sellers and it has been okay. I was told he needed the item for his new job and relying on me. I replied I will be there and congratulated him on his new job. I hope he shows up but if not I will just go home.