Dumpster Diving

SOLVED
Level 3
If your a Dumpster diver.. tell us where are your from? How long you have been diving? If you do it as a hobby, make side income or just helping to make a better environment? What made you want to start? Any tips you can give to new divers? No negative comments on this post.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 3
I've been doing it for years now! The key to a successful dive is to scan before you jump in! Not every dumpster or container will bear fruit, you have to look at where it's located where it's from & most importantly why it's being thrown away. I've found alot of good stuff in dumpsters from gold to money, clothes appliances & so on. I've found that slot of good stuff comes from containers of "trash" from homes where the people where evicted. Sounds cold blooded but if any of that stuff had value to that person it would of never ended up in the trash to begin with! I try to stay away from containers of out dated electronics, unless your looking for scrap I'd stay away from those. Unless you still use 8 tracks & VHS in your home those just tend to be a waste of time. Another no-no for me is if it contains liquids or food trash I won't even bother with it. My whole point is you have to look at the whole picture about that "trash" before you start. It will make easier for you & yes fun at times. I get a kick out of looking & reading old magazines and newspaper. So do your homework stay safe and have fun with it!
40 REPLIES 40
Level 3
I've been doing it for years now! The key to a successful dive is to scan before you jump in! Not every dumpster or container will bear fruit, you have to look at where it's located where it's from & most importantly why it's being thrown away. I've found alot of good stuff in dumpsters from gold to money, clothes appliances & so on. I've found that slot of good stuff comes from containers of "trash" from homes where the people where evicted. Sounds cold blooded but if any of that stuff had value to that person it would of never ended up in the trash to begin with! I try to stay away from containers of out dated electronics, unless your looking for scrap I'd stay away from those. Unless you still use 8 tracks & VHS in your home those just tend to be a waste of time. Another no-no for me is if it contains liquids or food trash I won't even bother with it. My whole point is you have to look at the whole picture about that "trash" before you start. It will make easier for you & yes fun at times. I get a kick out of looking & reading old magazines and newspaper. So do your homework stay safe and have fun with it!
Level 4
I'm intrigued. Where does one go to do this? I would think it would be dangerous?
Level 3
I totally agree! You nailed it! 😁
Level 3
Depends on your location and whats in the dumpster. Look before you leap. Be smart and it will be safe.
No thanks! I don't want bed bugs!
Community Helper
Different perspectives make the world go 🔄
To each his own... ✌
Level 3
Bed bugs can be detected. People are so uneducated about these things. FYI they can be anywhere.. furniture warehouse stores, motels, hotels, bed & breakfast.... food for thought...
You're joking right? Lol I live in a major city with a huge infestation problem and guess where all the furniture, books, news papers, clothing, elections etc.
that is infested from all apartments lands? In the dumpster! Why do we continue to have the problem? Because other people get the bright idea they want something out of the dumpster and brings it back into another apartment..and it's a repeditive cycle of bed bugs.
Level 3
Please note the subject is NOT on bed bugs here... thank you