How to be a 5 Star Seller!

Level 4
Hello OfferUp'ers!

I have been using this app for a few years now buying and selling products and have managed to maintain a perfect 5 star rating. Maintaining a high rating helps to instill customer confidence and separates you from the crowd. I want to share some pro-tips on how to maintain a 5 star rating and increase your sales.

1.) Post Lots of Pictures. People want to know what their buying and don't want to waste time and gas to come see it in person if they don't have to. Be sure to post the actual product and get several angles. If there's some wear and tear on your item be sure to include a picture of it.

2.) Be Transparent. This is a simple one that many people fail to do. Be honest about the condition, value, brand, age, etc,. If you are able to find the product online copy the specifications or details and/or include a link to the page. This helps educate buyers and make them feel comfortable with your product. An informed buyer is a happy buyer.

3.) Meet in Public. I cannot stress the importance of this one. I have never had a bad meet up experience but that's not to say that it can't or won't happen. Try to pick a location that is a halfway point for both of you and never meet after dark unless it's in a well lit location. If you must pick up from a sellers home make sure that you bring someone with you. Never go to a sellers home alone.

4.) Follow Up. If you want to secure your 5 star rating, go the extra mile by messaging the buyer shortly after the sale to make sure that they are satisfied, and to answer any questions they may have.

5.) Be Accountable. If you are selling your product as is then make sure to include that in the comment section and let the buyer know before the purchase. If not, be sure to take accountability if your product does not work as promised. Taking the time to make things right goes a long way. This will ensure that you maintain your reputation and your 5 star ratings.

6.) Be respectful. Just because a buyer attempts to "low-ball" you by offering a price that is too low for you to accept does not warrant disrespect. This is "OfferUp" after all, take care to be polite and thank them for their offer. You never know if you will be able to negotiate a better price in the end.

7.) Rate the Buyer. If you do not mark the item as sold and rate the buyer, they will not be able to rate you, and that defeats the purpose of building a 5 star reputation. Always rate honestly and people will do the same. This is how buyers know who is trustworthy and who is not.

8.) Make Money! Stay away from people who want to send you money, communicate via email, or mail the product to you. I always advise the buyers that I prefer communicate via the app until after the purchase is made, only then will I offer a contact number if a follow up is needed. Accept cash payment only. There are a lot of electronic options out there but they can also be disputed and refunded to the buyer. Try to stick with cash payment if you can.

9.) Become a TruYou Member. This also helps to build customer trust hence more offers your way.

10.) Stay Current! Be sure to maintain your post by bumping it to keep it current. I usually bump a post after one week to keep my products near the top of the search. Leaving a post on your page for weeks or months at a time decreases the value for buyers and thus result in lower offers.

11.) Follow Up! No one likes to be harassed, but it is important to follow up politely and professionally if you don’t hear back from a once interested buyer. For example, when someone shows interest in my product then stops replying, after a day or so I will ask if they are still interested. Life happens and people get busy, or miss the notifications. If they don’t answer within a day I send them a message thanking them for their time. It’s the polite thing to do and also another reminder in case they are still interested. I’ve saved multiple sales using that method. Hope it works for you!

These are just a few tips that I hope will help you on your journey. Everyone’s experience is different and we can all learn from one another, so be sure to comment with any best practices that you may have and leave a kudos if this has been helpful😉.

Thank you for reading and I hope these tips help to boost your reputation and sales.

Happy selling!
89 REPLIES

These are incredible tips! Thank you so much for sharing. 

Level 4
It's my pleasure ☺️
Great tips! I think it's important to remember that we all have responsibilities as buyers and sellers. As a prospective buyer or seller it's important to educate yourself about the product. I make it a common practice to look up the model number then copy and paste my items specifications into my listings. That gives the buyer instant reliable info, information they can trust minus the leg work involved in looking into it themselves, and I use it as an opportunity to brush up on the details myself. That way when I receive a question about a product I can reply immediately and the with confidence that I am providing them with the correct information. Knowing your product and being forth coming of any defects is the best policy!
Level 4
Thanks! I completely agree!

Thanks @DemianLuxe! Great tips! 

It's important to confirm with the person on price and meeting place. Then when they are leaving to meet you confirm once again. Communication is key. Take plenty of photos and be honest on the description and condition of the item.
Level 2

excellent tips and info! I too am a 5-star member. =) I read your entire post and all these things are true and on point. i would consider this a great guide. good day!

Level 4
Thanks El_Tavo! I appreciate your taking the time to read and reply Smiley Happy Feel free to share some things that you have done to solidify your 5 star status. We can all learn and grow from one another!

Professionalism is key in all things. Great advice, nothing worse than one photo and a vague/no description. Quality photos are a must as well.