Mover Scam?

Level 1
So, this one really confused me... buyer wants to buy my item sight unseen. They are in Florida. Wants to send me a check for the price of the item and moving fees ($1275). Supposedly I would get a cashiers check to cash to verify payment before shipment. I’m supposed to pay the movers. I’ve refused and asked for a check for the item only, and they arrange payment with movers directly. Seems very fishy. But, not sure of the scam - if the check clears, how will they financially benefit? Maybe the moving company is a front, they get paid and then the check doesn’t clear and I’m out the money?

Net, smells too fishy, I’m not cashing any check.
6 REPLIES 6
Community Helper
Welcome - @Sjschmidtky it’s totally a scam report and block. Regards Hotrod
Highlighted
Level 1
Also interesting that the original contact was a email and request to forward information to a different email outside of OfferUp - I fell for that (**bleep** it!). Lesson learned to stay within OfferUp for correspindence
Community Helper
Yeah @Sjschmidtky scammers are always trying to get members to pay outside offer up glad you caught it! good for you cheers Hotrod 👍
Level 1
Sadly, police pursuit of these kinds of things is small potatoes for police pursuit, and offenders know it. Risk of getting caught is low. I do have a cell phone number (google voicemail to monitor who’s calling) for what it’s worth. Do I just drop this or is it worth notifying some authorities where it really will get follow up?
Community Helper
Hey @Sjschmidtky sorry about the late response I was offline, you know it wouldn’t hurt give them the information you have and let them run with it stay vigilant! 👍 Cheers Hotrod
Neighbor
I’ve had two different “users” attempt the same type of “I’ll send movers and mail a check” situation with products that didn’t necessarily require any such effort. Not only that, the accounts were often faceless names with no location, having joined within the week. It is good to see others have caught this as I was beginning to question things, and almost fell for it myself!