Possible scammer?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Level 4

within 5 minutes of posting a juicer for sale i receive this message... what do you think? good example of a scam? i heard never accept check.. this is the reply-
"i'm okay with the asking price. i would like to send payment asap to you via any fast Carrier service from my bank. i will love to send you a certified check and please i don't mind adding $50 for you to hold the item for me, Please let me know if a certified check is okay?"

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 1
Definitely. I just got scammed that exact way just in the last 2 weeks. I lost $1,400 over it. I learned the hard way to do ALL transactions within the app. Don’t do any side negotiating where there is sending and depositing of a check. Trust me the cashiers check looked real. I in turn took directions from scammer to deposit money in another scammer’s account as well. I was convinced this was all going well until my bank got notice the deposit I made was fake. I reported the offerup scammer and called the police. The police gave me no hope that they would help me either. I was dumb enough to think all people are good and oh yeah one again the cashiers check looked real.
8 REPLIES 8
Level 1
Definitely. I just got scammed that exact way just in the last 2 weeks. I lost $1,400 over it. I learned the hard way to do ALL transactions within the app. Don’t do any side negotiating where there is sending and depositing of a check. Trust me the cashiers check looked real. I in turn took directions from scammer to deposit money in another scammer’s account as well. I was convinced this was all going well until my bank got notice the deposit I made was fake. I reported the offerup scammer and called the police. The police gave me no hope that they would help me either. I was dumb enough to think all people are good and oh yeah one again the cashiers check looked real.
Level 4
My thoughts exactly... checks are a definite red flag for scam. Sorry you had to learn the hard way F1.
Level 3
I had the same thing happen to me .it was a man from Oregon and had me text him at a 503 area code . Now there's no sign of him on my messages. Or anywhere on offer up. But I do have him on my messenger . how do I link this to my offer up
Level 4
would try to email whatever you still have on messenger over to OfferUp team!
Level 3
I'm not good at doing this stuff I can't figure out how. Is there a place I can screens ho it and foward it too

The best option people is to make sure you deal local only. Never do anything where they off you more than asked or if it is a "too good to be true" price. I don't care if a death of a family member or military is involved. Probalbly a scam if they are out of state.

Level 4
Check out this link here, from what I read there is a report button on the person's profile you can click on. Or did they delete the profile? Atleast you have the messenger screenshot. I'll look for an email address for OfferUp where hopefully you can send the screenshots, give me a moment but check this link for now.
https://ask.offerup.com/Rules-policies/Report-block/887968531/Report-a-person-or-item.htm
Level 1

This guy must be busy! On March 4 got msg from guy stating wife wanted to purchase an item. He tells me to Text her NOW wants to p-up NOW! So I texted outside app to Ronetta9. Here is response and what tipped me off to SCAM!

What is asking Price? (Why doesn't wife know my asking price if she wants it so bad?)

Then they TEXT the following:

I'm okay with the price and condition of the item and I'm ready to make payment asap. My mode of payment would be CERTIFIED CHECK, My mover will come pick the item after you recieve check and have it cash at your Bank. I wish to be at your location to come view the item but I'm on a business trip so I won't be able to come and also i don't mind adding $50 with your items money for keeping it save till the check get to you, I will be needing your address and the name to be on the check to mail the payment asap...

My Response to Scammer: I DONT ACCEPT CHECKS AND I DONT GIVE OUT MY ADDRESS!

Ronetta9 must have DELETED his offerup account because I was unable to find his conversation with me on offferup. 

Anytime someone tries to RUSH you into giving out your personal info or to make a RUSH decision, ALWAYS consider it a Big Red Flag!