Pricing laptops and Computers

Level 1
Okay, I'm selling a laptop for $785 that I bought for $999 a year and a half ago and it is in very good condition. Does this sound like a reasonable asking price?
Level 1
How to price a PC you are selling or buying:
- look up each component on eBay
- select "sold listings"
- take the sold price average of each component and add them up. That's generally a fair price. If it's a super clean build or has other exceptions, that can typically be factored into the sale/purchase price.

At least that's how I do it.
Neighbor
This is very true. However, u can increase the chances for a sale and avoid giving away fully functional electronics by focusing (or refocus) your target buyer. A good tip is to tune your descriptions and simplify your verbage, e.g. less tech specs and give ideas about the relevant usability of the device. a working laptop is still worth $100 to someone who NEEDS it, regardless of aesthetic appeal or technical features. Compare it to the alternative, which is subjective to the buyer. Hope this adds some insight. thx
Level 5

Another point is that especially with parts you often cannot test them before you buy.

I will not drive across town to pick up something used if I can get it new on Amazon for a few dollars more and have it delivered to my front door.

Highlighted
Level 5

How often do I read: On eBay it sells for....

And in most cases that is what it is offered for, not sold.

The market determines the value, not your neighbor who says that it is worth a lot of money.

@RenoHolland wrote:

How often do I read: On eBay it sells for....

And in most cases that is what it is offered for, not sold.

The market determines the value, not your neighbor who says that it is worth a lot of money.

Yes, the "market determines the value", but there is NO cost of entry to post an add on OfferUp (excluding vehicles), so sellers can care less of your opinion.

Let's be honest here...You are upset because you are having a hard time finding "deals", which is why you are browsing OU and not buying on eBay (the REAL place where the market determines the price).