Pricing your items

SOLVED
Level 3
When you price an item falsely say it's $450 you want but you put $45 or even $1 but in the description say the real price of $450. You may think you are attracting more views to your item. While this is true, you are getting more views but from buyers that think it's $45. You have now waisted their time and gave yourself a false sense of a successful ad with views from people that would otherwise kept looking. Put the actual price you want. With the exception of the $1 and ask for offers I can tolerate that but it still will put you in everyone search by price whether they can afford your item or not. Basically not putting the actual price you want markets your item to the wrong market resulting in less sales. Market to the correct audience for a faster sale.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 1
IMO, you should pad your price by about 15%. Give yourself some wiggle room, or the ability to immediately give someone a discount, which creates an automatic report and makes the buyer feel like they are getting a better deal. Also use the opposite technique when bidding.
8 REPLIES 8
OfferUp employee

@GodHatesU "Market to the correct audience for a faster sale." - Absolutely Smiley Happy

Level 1
IMO, you should pad your price by about 15%. Give yourself some wiggle room, or the ability to immediately give someone a discount, which creates an automatic report and makes the buyer feel like they are getting a better deal. Also use the opposite technique when bidding.
OfferUp employee

Great point @Tulsatime02

Highlighted
Level 3
PREACH! I can't stand when sellers don't enter the actual price! Extremely frustrating!

Was looking at a listing for a pickup the other day and it was priced way cheap. Asked what was wrong with and why it's being sold so low. Seller responded with it being the down payment for qualifying buyers. WOW! How low! For shame! Obviously immediately that is someone (and their "dealership") I never want to do business with moving forward.
OfferUp employee

@ZygyKoz Did they say what the actual price would be in their description at all or just the down payment? 

Level 3

Nope, that was the only price posted.

Level 3

Smiley LOL GREAT SUBJECT VERY MUCH ALL TRUE THANK YOU

OfferUp employee

@CHIKITABH I'm glad this post has helped you Smiley Happy