Re: How to handle a flakey seller?

SOLVED
Level 4
I am having this same ussue with a seller on here he has fridge posted and i send him a message and he responds then i try to send him another message and it takes him ALL DAY to respond and give me another reason to not meet up but promises we will meet up...so now i have waited all weekend to see the frige and not seen it..so very frustrating
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Helper
Hi @Augsbeech he probably has someone else, and probably keeping you as a backup, or he just doesn’t care how fast he sells his fridge, if it was me I’d just move on to the next deal. or you can send him one more message saying you have another fridge you going to look at picking a time later in the day, so he has time to show you the one he has. If he doesn’t go for it, then just find something else.
and report him and block him.
15 REPLIES 15
OfferUp employee

@Augsbeech Hey there! Did he ever get back to you?

Community Helper
Hi @Augsbeech he probably has someone else, and probably keeping you as a backup, or he just doesn’t care how fast he sells his fridge, if it was me I’d just move on to the next deal. or you can send him one more message saying you have another fridge you going to look at picking a time later in the day, so he has time to show you the one he has. If he doesn’t go for it, then just find something else.
and report him and block him.
Level 4
He did not but we got anotger one ....
Level 4
Well when you are selling a 600 dollar item i would think you would check in at least every few hours.most people do check in...and when you are in mid conversation with someone and you ask to see the item and you are at the point were you are getting their location and they wait over 48 hours to respond ....well thats just a lousy seller....no excuses its rude..he did not sell his fridge to me I bought another one from a seller that could respond in a timely manner...thats the good thing about offer up there are sellers on here that are serious and polite and want to make a sale....
Ooh
Level 3
Disloyal SELLERS are very discouraging!!
There is a Seller I had a recent experience with. "Linda Love." She listed a mobility scooter for sale which I desperately need. I contacted her, made all arrangements. She told me I could come between 10am and 2pm. We agreed I would be there between 1:30 & 2pm the next day. The next day, she texted me at 8:45am to say her nephew sold the scooter THAT MORNING! I was very disappointed, because if she had given me the option to be there BEFORE 10am. I could have been there at 8am.
Ooh
Level 3
I love Offer-up. Like anything else, there is good and bad. However, Disloyal SELLERS are very discouraging!!
There is a Seller I had a recent experience with. "Linda Love." She listed a mobility scooter for sale which I desperately need. I contacted her, made all arrangements. She told me I could come between 10am and 2pm. We agreed I would be there between 1:30 & 2pm the next day. The next day, she texted me at 8:45am to say her nephew sold the scooter THAT MORNING! I was very disappointed, because if she had given me the option to be there BEFORE 10am. I could have been there at 8am. People must be honorable! You agree to an arrangement, stick to it!
Highlighted
Level 5
You didnt had a legal agreement with the seller - she was not obligated to hold it for you. Unless she said that she would hold it or inform you before she sells it. At least she was honest with you and told you her nephew sold it, rather than having you waste your time to drive up to the meeting place.

As a seller I have had numerous no shows from buyers when people ask me to hold stuff for them ( here I am holding something for them, telling other buyers - its pending sale - making me loose an actual sale). They dont even have a decency to message and say they are not interested.

It goes both ways.
Community Helper

Tags (1)
Ooh
Level 3
@Sood.
Perhaps you missed the point I made.
Sellers or Buyers....INTEGRITY works BOTH ways. My point was, be honorable with WHATEVER you agree to, as a Seller OR as a Buyer.

My point is simple. The Seller made an arrangement with me to purchase the item she listed for Sale. I offered FULL PRICE because I needed one. SHE TOLD ME what time I should come to pick up the item, next day. Between 10am and 2pm. (Her words) NOT BEFORE, NOT AFTER. Then BEFORE the time she told me to come, and we agreed on, she went ahead and sold it at 8:00am. Way BEFORE she said I could come. What's the point!

I could have been there EARLIER 7am, if I was given that option. I could understand if I got there 3pm and she said sorry, I sold it because you didnt come at the time you promised. I am a person of my word!

I have sold stuff on other sites in the past. If I have multiple people messaging me for a specific item I listed for sale, I would make it known, it's on a "First come, First serve" basis. That's only fair! ALL parties know where they stand.

We also have the option on OFFER-UP to message interested ones to let them know the item they enquired about is still available if they want it. When others are a NO SHOW!

Happy Selling and Buying everyone 😎