Scammers

SOLVED
Highlighted
Level 2

Beware of any buyers who say "Consider it sold( or something like that) I'll mail you a cashiets check deposit it, a mover will come and check out the item and transport it to me as i am away on business.  They text is generally like this or similar.  Typically the amount on the check is considerably more than your selling price.  They will tell you the remaining amount is to pay the mover. Its a scam. The check is not good. You will have deposited it in your account withdrew the fee for the movers handed it over, they now have cash from your account and your product. The check will bounce or be labeled invalid. So, now you have lost out on money and product not to mention bank fees. Another is someone saying they know someone who would want your item and ask you to notify them via email, away from Offer Up. 

Please be careful.  I will only accept cash or money orders. If you accept cashiers checks go to Walmart and cash it at customer service for a small fee if it clears.. Never use your own account. If it's a personal check, then cash it at the bank on the check. Ive received a few of these cashiers checks nd luckily didnt lose anything. I tried cashing them at Walmart and their scanner couldn't read it. When you contact the buyer they usually tell you to deposit it into your account. I strongly recommend you don't do this. Ohh, when confronted about the scam some become very belligeren, I've even been threatened. They had my address since I so conveniently gave it to them so they could mail the check.  Hopefully this long post will help prevent anyone from being a victim.  

God bless, D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Cachexia Hi! We absolutely care and our Trust and Safety team, plus Customer Care team, look into every single reported case and take action appropriately. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. 

89 REPLIES

Thanks for the post @Dcass! You are right in your advice, please be very careful if you want to give out personal information. We strongly are against it. Keep everything within the features on the app we built for you. And if you are ever threatened, report them right away so our Trust and Safety team can take care of it. 

I have had that happen on craigslist, but so far not on OfferUp. Always be cautious, if it sounds to good to be true, if it even feels remotely suspect, back away.

Level 2
I've reported someone several times who screwed me over and offer up doesn't do anything about it. What a joke

Don't ever take cashiers checks from people you don't know. This is one of the most common scams, especially on Craigslist and other similar platforms. Also, if someone is offering you more than your asking price, you should be suspicious. If it sounds too good to be true, IT'S PROBABLY NOT TRUE! Lol. 

Remember, CASH only.

Level 6
I agree. I have had a couple people try and pull that with me. These days you have to stay vigilant

@Cachexia Hi! We absolutely care and our Trust and Safety team, plus Customer Care team, look into every single reported case and take action appropriately. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. 

Level 1
It's not offerups problem that you have been "screwed over so many times" by the same person.
Level 1
I've been stood up by 3 different buyers now. So I'm screen shooting their name and info and posting it on all social media with a warning to not sell to them.

Level 2

Cool! All these 'trust' and 'safety' teams blah blah blah. Bottom line is nothing has been done. No suspension of his account, no making him list the product he sold me as sold so I could accurately rate him/the interaction, not even a simple response to my issues from any of these Offer Up safety groups, etc... Actions speak louder than words and I will no longer be using OfferUp. I will stick with Let Go where they actually pay attention to scammers and DO something about them. Thanks!