Scammers

SOLVED
Level 2

Oh sorry, by 'screwed over' I should mention that I was sold the wrong product and then when I called him out on it he threatened me. But yea, not Offer Up's problem even though it was facilitated through their platform. Good point!

@Cachexia Well I'm very sorry you feel that way. I can see here that our team has gotten back to you and has taken action. In any case, thanks so much for your feedback. 

Level 2
At first, I would get the scammers asking a version of “someone in my family wants your item, email them at blank.com” it was obviously a scammer. You can tell by looking at their profile. They will either have joined a week ago, no photo and no stars. I report them right away. It hasn’t happened lately so I’m assuming OfferUp admin is really cracking down on fake profiles. Good work guys!! 👍🏻

@Robert23 YEAH! And thanks to all of you for continuing to report them. Smiley Happy

ID
Level 2
This just happened to me but I refused to do anything and requested info like DL and movers phone, name and more.. they refused stating"you don't trust me?"( But never sending info I asked for)NOOOOOOO! Told them I tore up the check and was taking legal action if contacted in any way!! Just happened 10 minutes ago! The Buyer was Rita.. no Pictures, no nothing, now all contact info and messages are gone and deleted except for text messages on my phone!
Level 6
@ID know what you mean. Same thing happened to me about a month ago.
Thank you so much for the info. I've only been on OfferUp a few days and just recieved my first, what I now believe to be "scam" offer. Your post REALLY helped!! Everything you stated in regards to the certified Bank check to asking for personal information such as your name and address, all of that was in the email that I received from the intended buyer. So, again thank you so much for the information. That along with my intuition, has helped me to now steer clear!
Level 6

👍 your welcome!e

Hi @veebeezee, I'm so glad this advice has helped! Please be very careful in giving out personal information such as email addresses and phone numbers so this doesn't happen. It's best to keep all communication with potential buyers and sellers within the app in our messaging system. Also, please report the people who don't follow our guidelines so our Trust & Safety team can look into their accounts. Thank you for helping keep this community safe! 

Good info to know. Thanks for sharing! I will definitely only accept cash or money order.