Scammers

SOLVED
Level 6
Hi @jd41. Excellent possibility. 😎
Ok so i was contracted by something similar and he stated when the check clears he will then move forward to get the item. If the check clears can i take that money out right away and not get scammed?
Community Manager

Welcome to the community, @Hballa - I'd recommend that you don't go forward with this transaction. Go ahead and report that other community member so our Customer Care team can take a look Smiley Happy

Level 3
))) I can tell you are far away from New York Brooklyn. Well you might have point but I actually never had any problems. Only suggestion is to all always deal In person and meet in public places during the day. That is my point Nigerian scammer will never speak to you over the phone they will email you or text but most of them never call. They always ask to pay with PayPal or to mail you a check.
Level 3
The check will return and they will charge back your account. You won't have an item and money. Good luck)
Level 6

@Hballa

If the person is overpaying with a check, just ask them to WESTERN UNION (available around the globe) the funds to a store near you, so that you can pickup the cash. Once you do this, they will stop making contact.

Level 6

i wish someone would try to scam me by over paying me

Level 10! You're a 10!
These is a common scam that has been going on many years @Hballa. Many people have and still continue to get caught in it. Thats why we need to continue to make people aware and not assume, everyone knows about it. Item times these scams aren't one sided. Sometimes, there is also someone else being scammed along with you. Stay away from anyone that wants to circumvent the app by using email or texting only. OfferUp has new shipping features for people who want to purchase that way. Otherwise, best to handle face to face, cash in hand. And check the bills too before you pocket your cash!
Level 1
What’s with all the scams on OfferUp? It’s about as bad as Craigslist!
Community Manager

Welcome to the community, @Kasage00! Definitely report any scammy users that you come across!