Scammers

SOLVED
Level 10! You're a 10!
-Ciao' @dginski-

---Welcome to the OfferUp Community Forum---

Nice...
Surely, lots of users would "Love" to hear all about your "Success Tibit" 😊
Remember the @ before the username prior to posting!
Continued Success 👍
Tags (2)
Level 2

Just had a Linda send by $2300 for a $400 Hutch and said her assistant accidentally included the fee for the movers in my check.  Told me to cash the check so I could pay her movers in cash.  Really?  I reported the check to the police as I googled her name and she is a scammer!  I should have known when she e-mailed me directly.  Can people see our e-mails on the app?  I didn't think they could.  The check came from an Annie in California from a Bank in North Carolina.  Really?  How stupid do they think people are???

Level 10! You're a 10!
Welcome to the Community Forums @Beeweaver.
Here's what always baffles me:
How does a transaction even get to the point that, your communicating through email, agreeing to a check and giving out a mailing or home address??
By using OfferUp the way it's designed, you can minimize all of these pitfalls.
Level 6

Hi @Beeweaver welcome to the forums,,,,,,,,,,,,I wish someone would send me a check for 2300 for a 400 dollar item,,,,,,,i would like  to understand how this scam works,,,,,,,,,what were you scammed out of ?,,,,,,,,can you explain ?,,,,,,,i mean,,,,,,did you call the bank it was written on and see if it was good?,,,,,,what did the bank say?,,,,,,,what did the police say when you reported it,,,,,,and ,,,what exactly did you report?,,,,,,,,someone sent me too much money?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i dont think offerup would give out your email,,,,,,that is a good question , how they got your email and your address to mail you the check.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Community Manager

@0317 this is a very common check fraud scam that has been around since before OfferUp existed. The check is not a valid check, and should not be cashed.

@Beeweaver - in the future, we always recommend keeping all communication within the app. This is to protect you, because a lot of "bad actors" will only communicate via email.

Just got this one from Cheryl in Weldon Spring, MO

Okay… I’m purchasing it for my cousin, i don't mind adding an extra $20 for you to take down the post. I’m currently on a business trip so i will be sending a mover to pick up the item. Thus, i will be paying via  C- a - s - h - i - e - r    C - h - e - c - k - s

UMMMM, No thanks Cheryl

Level 2

@Aperture101013 wrote:

Just got this one from Cheryl in Weldon Spring, MO

Okay… I’m purchasing it for my cousin, i don't mind adding an extra $20 for you to take down the post. I’m currently on a business trip so i will be sending a mover to pick up the item. Thus, i will be paying via  C- a - s - h - i - e - r    C - h - e - c - k - s

UMMMM, No thanks Cheryl

That's a scam!

Level 10! You're a 10!

Well, of course it's a scam!!
Yet people are still falling into it.
No checks or gift cards. No movers or couriers. No cousins or uncles. No emails or texting via cell.
Communicate through the app, meet in person, pay cash or ship and pay through the app.

Tags (2)
Level 10! You're a 10!
NO...
NO...
NO...
OFFER-UPPERS!
Plz heed words of experience @cyclomatic 👍😉 Tyvm
Funny... sounded like a Mom there lol.
Tags (2)
Level 10! You're a 10!

@KSARASARA wrote:
NO...