Shipping through offer up.. thoughts?

Level 3
Okay so as many of you know that probably regularly post on OfferUp, they are recommending utilizing their shipping option to sell across different locations. Just was wondering what everyone's thoughts were or if they had any experience?

I used to sell an Amazon on eBay and I can tell you it was a nightmare because there is no recourse for the seller, their seller metrics systems are incredibly stringent and strict and that's hard to keep up with a nearly impossible to remain in good selling Health if you will. Between negative feedbacks cases and more, especially when you are selling electronic merchandise like myself, it can be a huge headache. That and the fees cause me to shift business models and go to a face-to-face business approach eliminating fees and controlling the sale from point A to point B. Was just wondering when everybody's thoughts are if you guys know any specific information regarding offer up's roll out of this. The fees are too bad at 4.9% but you do have to agree to their shipping label which I don't know how much they gouge you for.

Also would like to know a seller metrics if there are any, performance evaluations, how it affects the ability for somebody to leave star ratings so on and so forth.
9 REPLIES
Level 4
Hi
I was going to start using the shipping through offerUp until I saw the price change from 4.9% to 7.99%. Why did this happen and why is it so expensive?? It means it's better for me to sell on Ebay and leave OfferUp. Does everyone see that the price has increased?
Level 6

I agree that the price seems a little high,,,,but how can anyone know that is still not gonna be better than ebay,,,,,,,maybe things will sell faster on offerup,,,,one can always adjust thier selling price a little to make up for some of the cost,,,,,,,,,,,i think offer up is too new for anyone to say they would be better off somewhere else,,,,,The only way to know is to try it out for a while and then look at the numbers.

Tags (1)
Level 6

@Phones2you...

If you plan ot ship, use eBay. So far, all the people that I know with the shipping option enabled on their OfferUp accounts have not been pleased...not a bit. Even within the successful transactions, some sellers had to wait over a week to receive the money.

The buyer is given 3 days to evaluate the item once it is received and it takes 5 BUSINESS days for OfferUp to transfer the funds to the seller's account after those 3 days. It can take 2 weeks (shipping time + 3days with buyer + 5 biz days) after you ship to get your money.

To makes matters worse, there is very limited info. on any type of monetary protection for the seller. Currently, eBay has more seller protection and you can reach Paypal over the phone.

Level 3
Its true..its garbage i literally just got scammed because offer up shipping service is its early stages and due to that they obviously lack security and no one is held accountable you literally jus wait and hope an admin replies...like really? Garbage simple
Level 6

Acutualy there are enough comments from people that do like the shipping feature that i have decided  it might be worth my trying it.,,,,Lots of good information here if you take the time to look through it all and read it all.

Level 3
To buy, yes its incredible, but until the kinks are worked out i PERSONALLY dont reccomend it, in beta stages Mercari was quite reliable, their app setup is a lot cleaner too, direct messages from Admin are less confusing than offerup in MY OPINION, but with any investment theres risk, i took a risk a little too soon and now im going on about 2 weeks without the issue getting resolved YET, not saying that my issue WONT get resolved but like i said due to its infancy im getting a few more bumps and bruises than I bargained for.
Level 6

@DeadRebel @Dch75

I wrote the below post over a month ago:

@Lapua wrote:

@Phones2you...

If you plan ot ship, use eBay. So far, all the people that I know with the shipping option enabled on their OfferUp accounts have not been pleased...not a bit. Even within the successful transactions, some sellers had to wait over a week to receive the money.

The buyer is given 3 days to evaluate the item once it is received and it takes 5 BUSINESS days for OfferUp to transfer the funds to the seller's account after those 3 days. It can take 2 weeks (shipping time + 3days with buyer + 5 biz days) after you ship to get your money.

To makes matters worse, there is very limited info. on any type of monetary protection for the seller. Currently, eBay has more seller protection and you can reach Paypal over the phone.

Level 5

HOLY CRAP TOO FREAKING WEEKS. That's dead. I can't believe this. What year is this? Could have sown it was 2018

Level 2
I didn’t know it cost a fee checking a box offering to mail to a buyer.. I just got my first purchase to mail and had no idea how to use it. I thought it was just info to help us gauge postal rates. Uh oh!