Slow Sales! Try this idea!

SOLVED
Level 6
I had hit a dry spell in my actual sales. Nothing serious for more than a week. I didn't want to add more items until I had cleared out the "dead weight."

I reviewed my prices, this time only within OfferUp. I adjusted my prices accordingly to be highly competitive. Then, I reviewed the categories selected for each item & had to make a few changes here as well. Then, I forced myself to critique my pics. Yep! In a few of the higher priced items I had to update at least the primary pic.

Then, I sat back & enjoyed my breakfast with The Hubs. I selected 10 of my listings to "sell" today! I checked the # of views on each item for a few hours.

Then, I put into action sales strategies I acquired during my years as a sales consultant for a local Baby Bell!

I reached out to every person that ever contacted me.
1. I informed each contact that the list price had been significantly reduced (for many I provided the actual percentage).
2. I inquired whether they were still interested in said item?
3.A few replied they had found something else to which I offered sincere congratulations to them.
4. To the fence sitters, I sought out why they were hesitant? Or reasons they couldn't commit to a sale.

a. 3 had to work and really needed me to come to them. Agreed! One delivery down. 2 more to go.

b. One didn't get paid until she finished her shift at Midnight. She had shared the importance of the item listed was to her. So I reassured her I would hold it for her til the marrow. We are meeting at 5:30am before it becomes blistering hot.

1 had been out of town for the past 2 weeks. He requested an additional photo with a quarter in it before he could commit. While I didn't close this sale, he is now following me.

Another had completely spaced on the item. He was genuinely pleased with the lowered price & steadfastly claimed the item. I was paid in less than 30 minutes after I restablished contact.

2 remained still fence sitters.

At the end of the day I reduced my inventory by 9 items & am now enjoying Mexican food with The Hubs.

P.S. Each of the above contacts had only sent me "I'm interested," or "Is it still available?" queries.

Happy Sales with those browsers....
38 REPLIES
Great ideas. You learned to personalize each sale by taking a little time to invest in the buyers needs.
Community Manager

@Suzanne1!!!! You always have amazing ideas and suggestions. How long have you been in sales? Smiley Happy

Level 10! You're a 10!
@Suzanne1 great advice! As a buyer, I do the opposite and send re inquiries for items that either the seller never got back to me, or we were not able to come to a reduced price. I find that many sellers will accept my lower offer after a week, month or two after our first communications.

Although!!! For some reason, recently!!! I’ve only been able go back to a month in messages!!! Smiley Sad
Level 6
I was extremely fortunate in my past employments. My first "cold sales" job was as a Mary Kay Consultant. While I never won a pink Caddy, I was able to support my young family. Then, I worked in the hospitality industry where I depended on tips. I had many craft gigs over the years as well.
I left all the "hand to mouth" type of jobs behind and became a teacher for many years. I taught in 5 different countries before returning as an Asst. Prof. as a Teacher trainer in Bilingual/Multicultural education & ESL endowments. It is estimated that a person changes careers about every 20 years. This has been very true for me. After 20 years, my kids were grown, I needed a change. It was by sheer chance that I inquired about a position with my local phone company.
I was blessed with an immediate hire and a 32 week training course that included how to sell. I hit the sales floor running. And I was President's Club every year for the 11 years I worked there. I was taught everything from cold calling to upselling.
Level 10! You're a 10!
---You sound like you are an amazing woman! @Suzanne1---
So glad you are helping the OfferUp Community with your expertise & experience---👍
Enjoy your informative/passionate posts 😊
Tags (2)
Level 6
@KSARASARA Blushing...
Community Manager

WOW! I second @KSARASARA - what an amazing story, @Suzanne1!! 

Oooooh Mary Kay. I'd LOVE some of that amazing night cream right about now hahaha. Cold sales like that is TOUGH! I used to do software sales, and learned a ton back then. 

I'm glad you found these forums! You definitely are a super seller Smiley Very Happy

Level 10! You're a 10!
---Hence, a "Super Seller" Badge---
What do you think @Mj_206?
There are definately some Super Sellers here! 👍
Level 3
Thank you for this!!! I was having some trouble with this as well.