Stop wasting time on browsers and no shows!

SOLVED
Level 1
@KSARASARA I hope I am doing this reply right with the @ symbol. I am kind of a new user, have bought and sold a couple of items and really enjoy OfferUp, also appreciate all the help and tips that everyone offers. My question is how are these people able to make new profiles under different names if you have the TruU system in place? Do they use false id's to make up the accounts? How do they verify their phone numbers or email addresses? There was an ad today in the Tucson area under cars and trucks for sale and I instantly knew it was some kind of scam because it was for a nice Chevy Tahoe SUV priced for $1,000, but wanted to see what happened if I asked a question. I did look at the persons rating and I believe it said they were a verified user and they even had a good star rating. But then I noticed that they had about 15 other items for sale so I looked at the other items they had for sale and it was a picture of the same vehicle that had been listed in different cities but some ads were marked as sold and some were still being offered for sale. The ad also stated to please respond with an email address for additional information, which was a big red flag. Anyways, I sent this seller a question asking her how it was possible that they had the same vehicle for sale in several cities and that some were marked sold and some were still for sale? They sent back a very basic reply saying for more information on the vehicle please send an email address in which I sent back a reply asking what was it that they could not tell me in a message that they could in an email, which they sent back their same basic reply about sending my email address for more information. Are these kind of people only trying to get people's email addresses in order to resell their information? I don't get it? They cannot make that much money off of email addresses! Seems like a lot of effort to try to get someone's email address. But after reading a lot of information here I now realize that I should probably report this user! Will it really do any good to report them? Thanks for all the good tips!
Level 1
Hope this is on the right foRumI Smiley Happy I did get told "was just looking" when I asked them if they were ready to pick up. So I got informed just because people are asking don't mean they want to buy! then they get the ones that meet me where there is no internet and they say I said half the price but I did not. But all in a day's work. and now my rating of only one person is low :-(. my earlier sales we didn't rate and everyone was happy
Level 1
Yes thanks for the tip! This happens a lot first they want it for less then you agree and then waste you’re time and don’t contact you back if your not closer to my location and know you live to far why bother I am not so found of Offer Up a lot of people waste your time!
Community Helper
Welcome to the OfferUp Community forum
@MsLesleyS!

Users are able to change their pic & username at any time with the same email account.
Know that you can only use one device per email though.

Way to be a detective on the Tahoe user... have read previous posts pertaining to this same scenario.
Seems the low price is usually a down payment or something to that effect.

Yes, please report!
Eventually they will be caught;
Karma never forgets, GLTU! ☺
-->Now Back to Thread Topic.
Level 1
I call them window shoppers ...lol
Community Helper
Welcome to the OU Community forum
@Cocodunno!
Level 9
@LakotApache
I too think this is a good response to the browsers. Thanks for the tip. I just may modify the vebage 1st (a little), then use this myself! L11
Highlighted
Level 1
To first answer your question specifically I offer them a micro neighborhood or nearest large intersection as an approximate location until I am ready to be more specific. This does away with most thieves or worse who just want to know where to steal from. In addition as far as self protection goes I like to chat a bit first, sometimes on the phone and I feel them out that way to figure out if it is a decent human being that just wants a good deal or ....otherwise. I like to start a chunk higher than my rock bottom price because the nature of the site is to low-ball, it's just part for the course, but if you price properly with room for negotiations you should do ok. No shows will happen, that is why I personally just meet at home or nearby so only my schedule suffers if they dissapear. I also know that if given an offer I either deny it or take it, maybe this is just my experience but if I ask for one more dollar the ghost appears so to speak. The one last thing I now don't do is use the shipping option. I have had one issue in one direction and one in the other direction and unless this normally great website does better and keeps it's guarantees I will stick to local buying and selling. Hope this all helps.
Level 5
@ZygyKoz

Ooohhh nooooo!! If they agreed to buy it, then that's a verbal contract. They can't turn around and ask all these extra questions and then say that they'll check the fit and the get back to you. Someone on LetGo did that to me last month except that he asked me to add more photos on the day of the meet up. I added them and he never responded back afterwards. He was reported as a "no show" and then blocked. Back to your experience, those type of "curveball" potential buyers asking additional questions after a deal was made are wasting your time, so personally to me, that's a automatic block. Them deciding to buy assumes that they are educated on the product you're trying to sell so it's sssumed that understand not only the fit and condition, but also the price. Sometimes not all money is good money. Either they take it as is or don't sell to them (they should've asked those type of questions before agreeing to buy).

Thank you.
Level 5
@ZyguKoz

Ooohhh nooooo!! If they agreed to buy it, then that's a verbal contract. They can't turn around and ask all these extra questions and then say that they'll check the fit and the get back to you. Someone on LetGo did that to me last month except that he asked me to add more photos on the day of the meet up. I added them and he never responded back afterwards. He was reported as a "no show" and then blocked. Back to your experience, those type of "curveball" potential buyers asking additional questions after a deal was made are wasting your time, so personally to me, that's a automatic block. Them deciding to buy assumes that they are educated on the product you're trying to sell so it's sssumed that understand not only the fit and condition, but also the price. Sometimes not all money is good money. Either they take it as is or don't sell to them (they should've asked those type of questions before agreeing to buy).

Thank you.