WATCH FOR SCAMS

SOLVED
Level 1

Recently was going to sell an item to someone who said they wanted to do PayPal. They told me that I should be receiving a confirmation email and that I need to send the tracking number to the email received. The email looked suspicious and I called PayPal and it seems that the email was a fraud and I almost shipped him a free item basically. Be careful with who you do business with. I have his contact information. Went by the name of Robert but they might just change their name. It’s a scammer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
@DonHdz look every transactions with suspicion until clears your bank account or the buyer gives you cash on your hand.
I get garden varieties of scam all the time so to be expected. Keep every communications and transportations within OU ecosystem.
6 REPLIES 6
Level 9
@DonHdz look every transactions with suspicion until clears your bank account or the buyer gives you cash on your hand.
I get garden varieties of scam all the time so to be expected. Keep every communications and transportations within OU ecosystem.

I believe that I just dealt with this person. About a minute after posting this, he messaged me offering way above asking price, but stated that he only wanted to communicate over text. He also stated that he was only ok with payment over pay pal. He wanted me to send him pictures, even though there were already pictures within my post. I also received several similar inquiries for people only wanting to use PayPal or MoneyGram, and all of them, including this seller, allege that they are buying for a relative. 

Level 1

Hello, I got scammed just yesterday morning I has his information but Icannot message him anymore but I really believe that I if I make pressure he will give me money back I have his information. Can someone help me to trap him, I know he will because he already send me 30$ without my ask surely for my abandon. Please hep me to have my money back because I have the opportunity.

@MomSells wrote:

I believe that I just dealt with this person. About a minute after posting this, he messaged me offering way above asking price, but stated that he only wanted to communicate over text. He also stated that he was only ok with payment over pay pal. He wanted me to send him pictures, even though there were already pictures within my post. I also received several similar inquiries for people only wanting to use PayPal or MoneyGram, and all of them, including this seller, allege that they are buying for a relative. 

Highlighted
Community Helper
Unfortunately, @Fafaa we cannot help you trap him. You went off the app it seems to communicate with him. For future reference, you shouldn't take any communication off the app. Also you shouldn't accept any payment that isnt cash or Offerup payment system.
I got scammed,paid 200 on google pay and didn’t hear from the guy again,happens 2 days ago, his name is trevor,I don’t remember the last name,has a profile pic with him and a woman
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear this happened, @Jorgegudino.

In the future, never accept or make payments using 3rd party apps, like Google Pay, Venmo or Cash App. Scammers tend to use outside payment sources knowing that OfferUp won't be able to assist in receiving funds if a 3rd party app was used. We have a payments feature built into the app that can be used.