What’s with people asking “Is it still available” and after you reply “yes it is..” they disappear?

Level 3
Why not skip this question? (Especially if the item is posted minutes ago) While this guy is asking the obvious question, the other person is already trying to schedule the time and place...
40 REPLIES 40
Level 9
It's either a way to make you offer a lower price (negotiation tactic) or they lost interest or found a better deal or honest mistake if it was a pre written option.

Sometimes people are also busy and text while at work and are unable to get back to you until a later time, which I guess isn't the best thing to do since many sellers don't do holds.
Level 9
@Milton They're basically Window Shopping not ready to buy, want dirts cheaps stuff or for free pretty sure people in this forum answer this like before. Just like simply reply: Are you ready to buy? They usually vanish, or they're not responding back to you. Don't paid attention too much to them, only pick those who wants to buy. Stay focus and be patience buyer's will come.
Highlighted
Level 2
Sometimes it's a mistake, if you're not careful you can just hit a button ... there should be a verification like ... Are you sure you want to send ....
Level 9
I don’t see why asking “is it still available?” is such a big deal. First off it’s one of the quick messages you can click on. Second a seller can just say yes. As someone who buys and sells, when I ask this I do find items that are sold and they didn’t take it down, or changed their mind about selling etc. and sometimes no replies form seller at all. It makes sense to ask. Yes if it was posted that day it sounds like a weird question, but it really means “hi I’m interested” than anything. Now for those that ask and don’t say a thing after you reply it’s just them being rude, nothing more.
I get the question “Is it still available?” All the time. If I answer yes, 9/10 times no further conversation. Drives me nuts!
Level 2
Or they're in jail ... I have that problem with a seller ... they put something up a few days ago and I've messaged about 2 items, minutes after they went up, he hasn't looked at the messages, he did sell something after I sent the messages
Level 3
It’s not that I am annoyed by the question itself, the problem is they don’t have any other questions after you answer “yes, still available...”
So I was just curious if other sellers experience the same thing and what is the reason behind this... because for me it’s 9 out of 10 people who start conversation like this never get to the actual transaction... I even thought they are hired by OfferUp to check inventory...
Level 9
@0317 good call on the fishing pole lol

@Milton to your point, I guess if I count the no replies some of them probably started with that question. I don’t think it’s any different from people who actually makes an offer or say hi or ask a question, about half the messages I get I reply back and never hear from them again. The “is it still available question” is just more likely the first thing anyone ask cuz it’s pre written. I guess it’s kind of a weird question. Who would list something they’re not selling right? Then again some people reply with “yes, are you interested?”...
Level 9
@Milton, Welcome to OfferUp, I'm glad you're here. I happens to have the same respond you have about three or four times a day like "This is still available". Before I respond to Yes I did peek at their profile see if they're a new comer. I do reply back Yes, it for sale and follow up question. If they response back with thin hours that could be new customer. You have to understand that their is people out there using desktop computer thru email on OfferUp platform so there not quick to respond back. If they're been on OfferUp for awhile with multiple star rating, I would push thru see if they still interest in your products. Otherwise dont waste your times to to those Window Shopping not ready to buy. I thinks OfferUp does check your respond times to reply back not so sure you can check in with @Elin or Mj_206 our community manager to be sure. The other things that you talk about that could be your competitors wants to discourage you from selling on OfferUp. Hope this helps. You can check out other ppl self-help in this forum community center.