Why does offerup continue to allow people to sell pot?

Community Manager

@morehousemark - @tdeluiz45 will not be coming back to these forums and is banned moving forward. Not only did he not take any of my several warnings seriously, but he then went on to create several additional accounts, including one with a username proclaiming their hate for me. As far as I have seen, he is unable to follow any set and clear guidelines, so his ban will continue. 

Report items that are against our guidelines. If more unnecessary questions are posted to this thread, I will be locking it. You clearly know that clones are not allowed, so of course the plants and seeds aren't allowed either. Report the correct way, to the correct team.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. This conversation is over. 

Community Manager

@jd41 wrote:

@Mj_206,

Its more than " just a few actors", at least here in Oregon it is. I constantly see pipes and bongs posted they are prohibited items, still see weed sold, and constantly asked if I accept weed for trades. I used to report them all the time but it seems to do no good. So, please don't downplay the issue like its few and far between when it is on a daily basis from countless people. To say its a few bad actors is about as far from accurate as you can get. Thanks 

I'd like to know where I ever downplayed this. I simply stated that there is absolutely nothing I can personally do, aside from passing on feedback. This issue is not my fault, yet it seems like a bunch of you are blaming me for these posts being up. Our teams do everything possible to remove prohibited items. I NEVER said it was a "few bad actors" - I actually stated that with tens of millions of users logging on daily, do you really truly believe that ANY app would be able to stop prohibited items without them getting posted? How many prohibited items are posted across other buy/sell apps? Do you think this issue is unique to OfferUp? Humans will do whatever they want, and sometimes they want to do bad things. I wish there was more I could do to ensure that every human follows every rule, law, and guideline, but to think that all humans are out for good is just foolish, unfortunately. 

Report any weed. Report people that ask to trade for weed. Report Report Report. That is all you can do. 

Level 1

Sorry, but reporting prohibited items in my experience has been a big waste of my time as the listings tend to be allowed to stay up. And it really REALLY bugs me that not only can an OfferUp customer end up wasting my time, but the COMPANY wastes my times as well by ignoring reported items. (And items I report are crystal clear that they are prohibited in the terms and conditions, NOT something open to interpretation that I feel is prohibited but turns out really isn't.) 

Level 1

Sure, it may SAY they'll be banned, but considering how many times the listings aren't even removed - not bloody likely they'll be banned.

@morehousemark @Mj_206 I agree with @Mj_206 One Trillion Percent and as far a @tdeluiz45 is concerned as they say, "Karma is a B!" And if you guys can't respect OfferUp's community guidelines by letting it go,  you'll get what is coming to you too!

Tags (1)
@medusa2468 Let it go,  as @Mj_206 shouldn't have to explain herself again!
Tags (1)
Level 1
Dude stop! 1st..mind your own business. That person is just trying to eat. 2nd, lets promote an end to PROHIBITION, not encourage the failed "warondrugs" 3rd. Try educating yourself on the motivation and politics that lobbied to outlaw weed. To this day;there is no data or study contained by anyone,that supports the schedule 1 rating that weed has. On the REAL; it should have never been considered a narcotic. Lets try this year to become more aware,better informed,hear opposing arguements, before we draw any conclusions. And be open to change,when compelling facts,contradict what we thaught. Lets be better then we have been. >>>>Thank you for reading. And please dont take out of context. Its just constructive criticism
Level 1
If these people put half the effort into getting the scammers; that im bombarded by off the site, that would be honorable and a better service to the community.
What about when they just continue to make these fake accounts over and over, even after being taken down. You should have to check everyone's I.d. in order to have an account. That would def help this issue, but would cause OfferUp to have wayyyy less users. I understand the need of growing the business just to stay alive, but is it worth having our children meet and purchase **bleep** from shady characters they are meeting on OfferUp? Many kids could get robbed hurt or even looked by these shady drug dealers on this app. I agree with the first poster. I love this app and utilize every week. I'm just disappointed that some of my friends kids are able to buy **bleep** using this platform. I hope this gets better. Thank you.