seller with counterfeit money

Level 1

A few months back a buyer contacted me about my item. He said he had 100 to spend and we agreed on a few items. I assumed it was various denominations. He was not present at our meeting location (a safe public area with cameras). I contacted him and let him know I was there he pulled up. The items were shown to him and he wanted me to show his buddy who was in the drivers seat of a car with it running. I said no, if he wants to see it he can come out and take a look. His friend comes out and takes a look and says it looks OK. The guy pulls out a fake $100 bill and I inspect it by feel and look for distinct markings. I told him I'm not taking that and it looks fake. He professed it was real. I said OK, lets go into the shop and buy something with it. It'll be deducted from the sales price. He said he's not interested and his friend needs to get gas across the street at the gas station. I told him to go break the bill there. He tries to pull the same stunt over there saying we need to exchange items then I can go try breaking the bill myself. In the end his friend who was supposedly running out of gas did not pump a drop of gas nor did the guy try to break the bill. I reported him to offerup.

Fast forward to last night someone inquired about the same product and asked me to meet them. I had met them at the same gas station and guess who it is?!?! The guy with the counterfeit money!! I should have used better judgement and not done the deal with him. Granted it was alot less and he had the gas station employee break the 20. Today he contacts me asking me to purchase more. I meet him there and he brings the items back to me telling me they don't work. Did not want to deal with this ghetto character anymore I returned his money. I get home and check all my other ones of the same item I sold him. They work flawlessly. This guy broke the items somehow.

There has to be some way to keep these types of characters off offerup. He's under another profile that is facebook verified and the photo of his facebook/offerup profile are no where close to what he looks like in person.

1 REPLY 1
Level 9

@fotoguy   Glad you reported it to OfferUp. To bad you didn’t report it to the police. With a tag number they could find out who the car belongs to. But you still meet this guy and do business with him. Counterfeit money is a crime all by itself. I’m sure the Fed’s would love to talk to you and your buyer that you still do business with. With your statement, they could take a bad guy away. Just saying. 

@fotoguy wrote:

A few months back a buyer contacted me about my item. He said he had 100 to spend and we agreed on a few items. I assumed it was various denominations. He was not present at our meeting location (a safe public area with cameras). I contacted him and let him know I was there he pulled up. The items were shown to him and he wanted me to show his buddy who was in the drivers seat of a car with it running. I said no, if he wants to see it he can come out and take a look. His friend comes out and takes a look and says it looks OK. The guy pulls out a fake $100 bill and I inspect it by feel and look for distinct markings. I told him I'm not taking that and it looks fake. He professed it was real. I said OK, lets go into the shop and buy something with it. It'll be deducted from the sales price. He said he's not interested and his friend needs to get gas across the street at the gas station. I told him to go break the bill there. He tries to pull the same stunt over there saying we need to exchange items then I can go try breaking the bill myself. In the end his friend who was supposedly running out of gas did not pump a drop of gas nor did the guy try to break the bill. I reported him to offerup.

Fast forward to last night someone inquired about the same product and asked me to meet them. I had met them at the same gas station and guess who it is?!?! The guy with the counterfeit money!! I should have used better judgement and not done the deal with him. Granted it was alot less and he had the gas station employee break the 20. Today he contacts me asking me to purchase more. I meet him there and he brings the items back to me telling me they don't work. Did not want to deal with this ghetto character anymore I returned his money. I get home and check all my other ones of the same item I sold him. They work flawlessly. This guy broke the items somehow.

There has to be some way to keep these types of characters off offerup. He's under another profile that is facebook verified and the photo of his facebook/offerup profile are no where close to what he looks like in person.