sketchy people selling vehicles

SOLVED
Level 9
I don't know about you but I am fed up with the amount of "bogus vehicle listings" bieng posted lately. These posts refusing to talk on app ,only by email or text. The one with ridiculously low prices for the the vehicle listed. And if that's not bad enough, they make multiple posts of same car, just word it a little different. Then have different email or phone number to contact the buyer. one post I saw (there were 3 versions of it posted within minutes) listed A 2009 Acura , low miles blah blah basically describing a brand new car listed for $2000. come on its sketchy as hell. Buyers beware if it seems to good to be true it probably is. Because honestly how could there be that many people selling their newer pristine vehicles for so cheap. Either they are all apart of scams.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Helper
Yep @jd41
I deal with the same thing in my area,
It’s totally frustrating, I could easily report them all day, I just don’t have the time. Like @Elin is saying they will probably get a fix for it👍,
That will be great 👍
32 REPLIES 32
OfferUp employee

@jd41 No it's not a scam, it sounds like a few just aren't following our Posting Rules. Just keep reporting them through the app so our team can look into their accounts and take action as needed. As some have mentioned before, as they've seen some testing, we *are* working on ways to help with this, so stay tuned for that Smiley Wink

Level 9
Maybe some, but you're telling me when the same car is posted two times at the same time and each one has a different contact name and email address that is just someone not following the rules? Especially when the price is listed as $1500 for a car that is worth 8000 to 10000. I appreciate your advice and I do report them. I Have emailed one before to see for myself. I asked about the car .the reply was an out of state phone number and said text me it'll be faster than email. I didn't text him because it was a scam. When people give you an out of state number and only want to text it's usually because they can't speak English very well and probably aren't even in the USA. Like I wrote before I had a buyer do that with a van I was selling. Only texting. When I called the number he answered yelled at me "deals off I said text only" and hung up. He had a thick African accent. The scam he was running originated in Nigeria. I was just letting people know to be vigilant and not be lulled by a super deal
Community Helper
Yep @jd41
I deal with the same thing in my area,
It’s totally frustrating, I could easily report them all day, I just don’t have the time. Like @Elin is saying they will probably get a fix for it👍,
That will be great 👍
Level 9
Yeah they probably will get a fix but @Elin saying they're not scams just users not following posting guidelines. Maybe some of them are but when same vehicle shows up 2 or 3 times with same price but different emails or phone numbers to contact them , you can't tell me that is a legitimate person honestly trying to sell acar. @Elin I'm not coming down on you and I appreciate your advice and help. I just making the point I've dealt with enough of them to know bogus scam post from legite ones.
Community Helper
Yes @jd41 I do believe they are scammers also, I’ve asked questions and I get all kinds of sketchy answers, asking me for my personal information, even my credit card 💳 numbers, 😂 I totally see your point, sure there’s dealership out there that are legitimate, but there are so few 👍
OfferUp employee

Yep, like I said, we're working on helping with this. Smiley Happy

Totally agree. I have contacted those scammers, myself. I'm a buyer of used cars. I do not own a business. I buy cars for my family members. Those scammers send you fake links, for Amazon and Ebay. They will "deliver" the car, after you deposited your money. Car for $2,000 and delivery would cost be them, how much?
Level 1
Same here all these used auto dealers dumping off their cars no one wants to buy on the lot on offer up.
Highlighted
Community Helper
Some of these, absolutely, are scammers! They don't just post a "few times" with different wording. They cut and paste dozens up to nearly 200 times all across the country. Always wanting to be contacted through means, other than the app. These are classic phishing practices and I've been taking the time to report every single user I find employing this technique. You'll see this is a common practice on Craigslist as well. I want to see this app excell but I'm asking everyone to take at least some time to report these when they come across them. Otherwise, we all lose!