what's with people saying they want an item agreeing to pickup spot then don't bother to show up

SOLVED
Level 9
It's so frustrating to take the time to answer questions haggle over price and set up a pickup, to only have the buyer leave you hanging without so much as an appoligy. What happened to common courtesy? I mean I can deal with someone changing their mind if they tell me. It's when you get nothing. Not a sorry for the inconvenience, no I can't make it. Just empty air, not even a response to asking if they are still coming. That is the most infuriating because they see the message and just ingnore you. Is it too much to expect a little common courtesy these days?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
OfferUp employee

@jd41 Do you find the people doing this generally have a specific number of stars for ratings? I know it can be frustrating when wanting to buy an item or sell one, but sometimes things just happen. We always ask people to be honest and as transparent as possible when speaking with each other, even if that means explaining why the deal is no longer for them. Hopefully, soon we will have ways to alleviate this for people Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

66 REPLIES 66
OfferUp employee

@jd41 Do you find the people doing this generally have a specific number of stars for ratings? I know it can be frustrating when wanting to buy an item or sell one, but sometimes things just happen. We always ask people to be honest and as transparent as possible when speaking with each other, even if that means explaining why the deal is no longer for them. Hopefully, soon we will have ways to alleviate this for people Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Level 9
Craigslist trolls, they’re everywhere!!
Smiley Wink
Community Helper
I totally agree @jd41
It very frustrating, you just don’t know if or when they will show, they sometimes leave you hanging
Level 9
@Elin I usually find it's users of all ratings from 5 stars to new ones. It's not a big problem. Just happens enough to be frustrating sometimes. And honestly it's not even feeling as though I wasted my time. It the lack of the simplest courtesy. It takes two seconds to respond to " hi I was just wondering if you were still coming to pick that up?" Even a "no" would be appreciated over a straight up no response. That's all it's like people forget what good manners are today. Thanks
Community Helper
Yes @jd41 I can’t tell you how many times, I’ve gone through setting up the deal and time / place and they told me they are on the way, and 5 minutes away,
And don’t show up, and I message them never answer back no courtesy at all,
Level 1

Hi. I am fairly new to this issue. I

I have had many "interested" buyers; we set up a location and time and they don't show up, they don't message or respond, basically they go MIA.

I understand that things happen but they can have the courtesy to let me know - I have a lfe too. Someone actually sent me a passive aggressive message because I didn't accomodate their constant changing schedule!

I was living in another city in Arizona selling items but I had never had such a problem! 

Disappointed.

Level 1
I think they feel entitled. It's beyond rude it's arrogance.
Level 3
One way to deal with that would be to only sell to people with “TrueYou” and Facebook connected/verified profiles? Also maybe the ability to notify other sellers by marking those people somewhere near the rating as “didn’t show up”
Another way is to set up a meeting at the place that’s 2-5 minutes away from your house and leave the house only when you receive “I’m here” message.
OfferUp employee

@Definitely It's definitely something we're working to fix. Hopefully, our new profiles will help alleviate this type of situation!