what's with people saying they want an item agreeing to pickup spot then don't bother to show up

SOLVED
Level 2
Omfg that's one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes dealing with ppl on here... common courtesy is not that common nowadays..and neither is common sense. Just sayin. Lol. I've had ppl message me "I'd like to buy (insert item here) for (insert price). And then I reply...and then I get no response. Like.....WHY??! Or when ppl message me and ask question after question...and even asked if I can lower the price even when I marked that the price is firm..I give in and lower it a bit. Then they tell me they'll come pick it up and the next thing you know...they don't respond, don't show, don't even bother to say shiet. Ugh! I wish there was a way that when someone wants to purchase an item...there should be a way to guarantee they're purchasing rather than waste our time...that'd be awesome...but till then...just gotta deal with flakes and hope for those honest, courteous, reliable ppl to surprise us. Lol.
Level 1
it's really bad here in South Florida! people act really interested but when it comes time to pick up the item they just... disappear. what's even better than the disappearing act is the once a month messager.. they message n disappear for a month then come back n ask another question n disappear again.
Tags (1)
Community Helper
Hi @wanDUH
I totally understand what your saying, we all get frustrated when people do this and waste people’s time. But there’s new profile tools from OfferUp to help people with their decisions if they are reliable and more information as well.
Community Helper
Hi @MrMcPots what I do is, I block them from contacting me in the future. All you do is use the report option in the top right corner of the sellers items for sale page.
Reporting why then continue to blocking option.
Level 1
I don't feel only dealing with or thru Facebook is the answer, I personally don't like Facebook being involved with everything, they have alterial motives. I've had a few no show's, and I think the reasons are along the lines of folks get very busy and spread time or cash too thin, big deal, there's no evil intent or I'll will . It's just like fishing , the deal ain't done till the fish is netted.
Tags (1)
Level 1

Hi,

I've had this happen to me: a "no call no show" on other apps. I think sometimes people can't make it for various reasons and experience anxiety about it or embarrassment.

Maybe it's transportation, to childcare issues or maybe a spouse putting the Kibosh on a purchase.

Anxiety can be overwhelming and I think it accounts for a good percentage of the communication issues.

In any event it helps me feel empathy ( even if I'm incorrect: Lol)

Cheers,

Alexa

Tags (1)
GG5
Level 3
Couldn't agree more! After finalizing everything, I normally state "if anything changes, pls just let me know".
Because they agree to something with you, and then they find something cheaper. Instead of being a stand up person and telling them, they just blow you off. I know this from experience.
Level 1

It's because they can. There is no recourse for these very selfish people. You can't rate someone unless you sell something to them. They can do this over and over and over and no one else will ever know. The rating system on here is horrible. 

Level 1
I recommend picking a meeting spot within a half mile to a mile of you (i.e. corner store, gas station, plaza) if you're in the metropolitan area and have them message you when they arrive. Then it takes you just a few minutes (less than 10 or you look like the flake) to get there and they will probably be there too. However, be prepared to leave as soon as they message because nobody likes waiting.