BEWARE ALL SELLERS WHO SHIP OF THIS SCAM!!!

SOLVED
Level 1
I just had this happen. I sold my diamond ring and offer up held his money. I shipped the ring as instructed. He filed a claim stating it wasn't as described. Offer up refunded his money
BUT I HAVE NO ACCESS TO THE INFO NOW AND HE HAS MY DIAMOND RING. HELP!
Level 1
I believe that after experiencing a buyer get away with STEALING MY DIAMOND RING, I am totally disheartened and I plan on removing my items and filing a complaint with Consumer Franchise Division. they'll be in touch with OU as well as the buyer. This is truly a fraudulent set up. I can't even see that my ring was ever purchased. Thank God the post office tracked my pkg. There is a reciept. Why? He keeps my ring and gets his money back??..I don't think so.
Level 1
Go through Consumer Finance Protection Bureau. CFPB. I encourage you to get them involved. They are working on mine and someone is going to be held accountable.
Level 3

@ShellBell1979  They definitely do not ship it back to you if it is a UPS shipment, and I am living proof of this-  You know what they do with it?  OFFERUP KEEPS YOUR PROPERTY.  You said post office, so maybe you would get yours back.  I had one that shipped UPS, and when the sale was canceled it was shipped to offerUp's offices in belleuve Washington.  I live on the other side of the country!!!  I called UPS and asked them why they were not sending it back to the return address on the label.  They said the "sender" of all these parcels is not you or me or any seller on this app.  The "sender" as far as UPS is concerned is OfferUp, so if your item can't be delivered or someone cancels the sale, the items are delivered to OfferUp. They don't get sent back to the seller.  

That is only if it's a UPS shipment.  I had two cancelations with items in transit, and the one that shipped at the post office I was able to have sent back to me by contacting the post master of the receiving post office in the buyer's area.  I explained to them that I was getting scammed on this app and it appeared I was not getting paid for the item.  They said go to my local post office and show my ID as the sender of the parcel, and have my postmaster call their postmaster to verify it.  So I did that, and the postmaster in Texas personally found my parcel before it arrived to the buyer, took it out of the day's deliveries, and sent it back to me by priority mail.  That was on a Friday and I had my parcel back on Monday!!!  There was no charge to me for the return trip either.  They were SO helpful at USPS. 

That was not the case with United Parcel Service, and I no longer ship anything on OfferUP with UPS because of it.  UPS refused to send my item back and instead gave it to OfferUp.  OfferUp has not returned it for 2 weeks and keeps giving me the run around.  And I'm not getting paid, because neither the buyer or seller have the goods-  OfferUp has them at their offices!  It's like a catch22.  

So in some sense your suspicions are correct-  you may not get your property back if it has been shipped and then is canceled in transit.  But what happens to it also depends on the seller taking action to get it back and also depends on how it was shipped.  If it was UPS, forget it!!  OfferUp steals it or keeps you waiting for weeks on end.  If it is USPS you CAN get it back, but only if it is not yet delivered and if you take the right steps and contact the post masters of both post offices.  

Level 1
Agreed my friend!
Level 3

@RIVERRAIN  So sorry to hear bout what happened to you with your ring.  Have you tried contacting either the Better Business Bureau or the Attorney general's office for Washington State?  That is normally who would handle a situation with a company like OfferUp.  As far as I'm aware the CFPB is for issues with financial institutions, such as credit bureaus, banks, lenders, check cashing stores, etc.  
Although as a seller, OfferUp's role is somewhere in between retail and payment processing, I don't seen an option on the menu at CFPB to report this type of company.
I filed a complaint against OfferUp with BBB myself yesterday, and in the past when I had issues with other companies over mistakes that could not be resolves, I got some headway by contacting the Attorney General for the state in which the company was located.  Most of the states have a complaint form on their respective Attorney General's websites.  That's my next step for OfferUp as well.  They are based in Bellevue Washington, so I will be contacting the Washington State Attorney General to report the issue.  
Best of luck to you.  I hope yours gets resolved as well.  

Level 4
Save yourself the headaches and use PayPal, 2.9% fees and protect sellers and buyers and ship it thru USPS.
Level 1
Ive never used paypal! How do i go about using them? If you have time and don’t mind giving me the guidance to this i would very much appreciate it. Thank you
Level 4
Sign up for PayPal, link your debit or credit cards, they also have PayPal credit you can apply for. Always remember when buying from strangers ALWAYS use “ good and services” for protection. NEVER use “ friends and families” option to buy from stranger, only use that option only if they’re your families or friends. Seller will receive money instantly when buyers paid using your email as a form of ID, also shipping address of buyer will be in PayPal, so ship to that address or ask them again to make sure it is correct before shipping. Also as a seller, you would have to pay the 2.9%.

I’ve bought 2 golf putters on here not too long ago, one was sent to another state and one never showed, I filed a complaint with PayPal and they replied with in 24 hours and got my money back with in 4-5 days. Goodluck!