Cautionary warning how you get shortchanged on combined shipping

SOLVED
Highlighted
Level 3
As many of you know there's no combined shipping for those of us who do ship on the app. But many times customers will ask if you can group things together on one listing so that they only have to pay one shipping fee. This has worked for me several times but I just found out the hard way that you can get shortchanged and not get paid for some items this way.
I had a customer who asked me to group three items together on one listing so she only had to pay one time for shipping. She had already submitted an offer for that first item. The item was checked off for firm pricing, no lower offers. I revised the listing and added the other two items to it for an additional $20. So it then reflected a higher price with no lower offers available. Her offer was still active and when I clicked on it it had the new revised higher price, so I thought I was accepting the revised price not the original price. In fact it came through my email as being accepted for the higher asking price. So naturally I thought that she had revised her offer to include the additional items that I added, or that offer up was charging her the higher price.
It wasn't until after I got paid that it became apparent that offer up only charged her the original lower price and only paid me based on the original price. It was originally $49, but was then revised to be $64 which is the price that we agreed upon, and I got paid $44. The $64 price the buyer agreed upon for which I agreed was thrown out the window somewhere along the way. It seems there is a hole in the system here.
So lesson learned, if you are adding additional items to an existing listing to group items together for a customer. Either have them wait to put their offer in until after you revise, or decline any proceeding offers regardless of what the amount OfferUp says. . And hope that they fix this glitch in the system ASAP.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Hi there @Starwarsdan - apologies for the late reply.

This was not due to a glitch, as the first offer was for the lower dollar amount. When that offer was made, it communicated code with our back end. Since the original price that was listed at the time of that offer, and all back end systems received code for the original amount. As you edited it after the offer, a new offer would have needed to be accepted. Since the offer came in at the original price, and all code that pertained to that transaction on the back end was set to the original, that was the price that was used. 

This is the last email we sent:

"My name is Genesis and I am a supervisor here at OfferUp. I was reviewing your interaction with Kenisha and decided to step in. I want to first take this time to apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have caused. 

I did review the screenshot you sent, where it shows you were going to receive $57.67. The reason why you were paid based on the previous price was because a new offer was not made. Even though the buyer accepted the new offer of $64.00, this transaction needed to be cancelled and a new one with the new price needed to be created for the buyer to place a new offer.

I hope that this explains what happened. If you have any more questions please let me know."

11 REPLIES 11
Level 3
Just a quick update to this issue. Sadly OfferUp is not taking responsibility for the error at this time. I have been talking to customer service for a couple of days and they absolutely refuse to pay me the difference. I even sent them screencaps showing how I got shortchanged.
Level 1
It's seems no admin or anyone here cares... Every other post has a million replies. This one... None. Why?
Level 3
I really appreciate you posting this information, Thank You.
Level 3
Truthfully I am considering going back to EBAY. That 's a sad day in itself.

@Onema98 wrote:
It's seems no admin or anyone here cares... Every other post has a million replies. This one... None. Why?

This is an instance that only @Starwarsdan  and OfferUp can resolve. Everyone else will just have an opinion, but none of the facts to sort it out. The OP has already stated his argument, but did not pose a question, so there is nothing else that the rest of us (as users) can add to the conversation.

IF what @Starwarsdan  has stated is all "true", I would have to side with the seller, and OU should makeup the difference, but that is just my opinion (on the basis of what the seller has posted on the forum is all true).

Community Manager

Hi there @Starwarsdan - apologies for the late reply.

This was not due to a glitch, as the first offer was for the lower dollar amount. When that offer was made, it communicated code with our back end. Since the original price that was listed at the time of that offer, and all back end systems received code for the original amount. As you edited it after the offer, a new offer would have needed to be accepted. Since the offer came in at the original price, and all code that pertained to that transaction on the back end was set to the original, that was the price that was used. 

This is the last email we sent:

"My name is Genesis and I am a supervisor here at OfferUp. I was reviewing your interaction with Kenisha and decided to step in. I want to first take this time to apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have caused. 

I did review the screenshot you sent, where it shows you were going to receive $57.67. The reason why you were paid based on the previous price was because a new offer was not made. Even though the buyer accepted the new offer of $64.00, this transaction needed to be cancelled and a new one with the new price needed to be created for the buyer to place a new offer.

I hope that this explains what happened. If you have any more questions please let me know."

I will make this simple to understand for the rest of us:

If you find yourself in a similar situation, CANCEL the original ad, and CREATE A NEW ad to reflect the new/higher price. This will avoid any confusion.

Level 3
Thank you for the response and for the explanation. Appreciate it. Is OfferUp doing anything to fix the hole in the system so that other sellers are not misled in the way that I was?
Level 3
One last update to this situation. OfferUp told me that I had to contact the buyer if I wanted to be paid for the amount that I was short-changed. Of course this is problematic because they don't give you any email or phone information. I guess I was supposed to send a postcard, since all I had was an address. But the good news is that I found the buyer on Facebook and I knew it was the same person because it was the same profile picture. And it turned out we were in the same collecting groups. She was very sweet and nice and she sent me the balance that was owed on PayPal, and now we are friends on Facebook and we can trade there instead.