DEALING WITH LOW BALLERS

Level 8
Wassup everyone,

I'm a sneaker reseller based in Cleveland, OH. and I've been successfully using this app since this Fall, and although I've had some great buyers, I've also had some runs ins with what many of us call "LOW BALLERS", and I'd like to share a few tips I've successfully used on how to get them to meet your asking price, and not be gamed into theirs.

#1. SET YOUR PRICE HIGH -

If you're selling an expensive item for cheap, to many it may look like a good deal, but to many more it usually looks like a knock off, or a too good to be true. Which is usually the case. Secondly, if you mark your prices at thrift store price points, you leave no room for profit, on top of not leaving room to barter or negotiate. Setting your prices low may get more small sales, but you'll soon run out of inventory to sell and realize you haven't made much profit. Dont be the seller who looks out for everyone else but yourself. Think quality over quanity. Know the value of your stuff and never be quick to settle. Patience is key. The right buyer always comes along.

#2) BE VERY DESCRIPTIVE -

Low Ballers are very crafty at using your errors, typos, no details, etc. against you. Example, if you post a car but dont list the mileage then a lot of buyers will assume it has a lot of miles on it so they'll throw you a low ball offer. Avoid this type of annoyance by simply listing every important detail needed in the description. It'll save you from having to go back and forth

3.) BE OPEN TO TRADES -

Now I know many sellers on here like to put "no trades" on their posts, but often times trading can work to your advantage, and you'll gain more in the long run. Lets say you post a item for 100 bucks right? Cool. So you get a buyer who low balls you for 50 right? Then he/she tells you that's all they have but they really want the item and they're not mobile, so you have to bring it to them. and they stay 35 mins away. So how do we make this deal beneficial? Accept a trade. Instead of declining the deal altogether, simply say "I'll accept your offer of 50 if youre willing to add a item worth 50". This tactic usually works for me 90% of the time. if a buyer seriously wants an item they can't really afford, they'll usually have no problem making a trade with you. So cash plus trade is always a win. Plus, youre adding more inventory to flip.

So guys, that's 3 tips I've had success using here that I wanted to share with you guys. Hope they help!

Good luck and Happy 2018!!!

- DK
126 REPLIES 126
OfferUp employee

@DopeKicks216 Thank you so much for sharing these tips that have worked well for you Smiley Happy I'm sure other members of the community are very thankful for you taking the time to write all of this out and in such good detail! 

THATS EXACTLY WHAT IVE BEEN DOING ON ALL MY POST... IF PPL CRY THEY CANT AFFORD TO PAY THE AS PRICE LISTED FOR THE ITEM, I ASK IF THEY GOT SOMETHING ELSE OF VALUE OR OF INTEREST THAT THEY MAY BE WILLING TO SACRIFICE IN ORDER TO MAKE UP FOR THE DIFERENCE, FOR A PARTIAL TRADE. IF THEY TRULY INTERESTED & THEY REALLY WANT YOUR ITEM. THEN THEYLL IMEDIATELY BEGIN OFFERING CASH PLUS STUFF ON TOP AS COLLATEROL. BUT, SOME GET SLICK, TRY OFFER YOU THEIR WORTHLESS GARBAGE, TRASH MATERIAL. SO THATS OF NO HELP, THATS WHEN I SAY: "ITS BEEN A TRUE PLEASURE WORKING WITH YOU, BUT UNFORTUNATELY IM NOT INTERESTED!" I THINK ITS TIME YOU CONTINUE LOOKING AROUND ELSEWHERE, HOPEFULLY YOULL FIND WHAT YOURE LOOKING FOR AT A PRICE YOU CAN AFFORD, THANK YOU. HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!! GOOD BYE....
Level 1
The low baller thing is alway annoying and most of the time disrespectful
For example I put up a 2014 Honda Civic with only 12k miles for 6500 and I'm a car dealer so I try to sale lower than everyone on OfferUp
You can't believe the ridiculous offers I've been getting even being the lowest offer on OfferUp some had the nerves to say
Would you take 600 dollars yes 600 dollars for a 6500 car 2014
I don't know if it's the location I am located in but everytime I try to sale a car here people offer ridiculous offers even after saying firm price sold a lot of cars on offer up because of my low price and have good reviews all 5 stars but the low ballers think thy can get an item for free most of the time I see them as disrespectful super disrespectful

I feel like cussing all this low ballers out trying to buy you item 99 percent your asking price basically wanting it for free

Making you start to doubt the price you put up and asking to your self do this people have a heart like **bleep**
Lol sorry for cussing I'm just **bleep**
Level 9

Hey @Kendoswag,

Life is to short to get **bleep** about low ballers. This is the low ballers’ strategy.  It comes with the business.You will need to develop a strategy to best deal with them because they are here to stay.

Here is my strategy: Wine. I pour a glass of wine (or two) and a few sips later. I calmly retype my asking price. That means no negotiating the price.

@Kendoswag  you might just need to say no and walk away.  Smiley Happy

Level 8
Fam I feel you! Only on offer up do we go through this 😂😂😂 thats why I be taxing for my kicks because these clowns always want half off lol had a buyer offer me 200 for some DS Bred V2 Yeezys with Villa receipt thats worth 900. Going for 1050 on Flight Club. Tf ima let em go for 200 for? You cant even cop fakes for 200! Lmao!!!! These low ballers be the worst smh but ive learned how to maneuver. Just keep cooking bro dont let the broke boys get to you. Salute
Community Manager

LOL @Shupat I love your strategy Smiley LOL 

Do it all the time whenever I can. They low ball it then i go to there page and see what I can find and see if they can bundle to make a proper sale and sometimes I'll make out really good in the end when I get half and half. Sometimes I get a couple items in return of the trade deal and make more then what I would have for what I was looking for the original item.
Do not forget to always meet buyers in places where there’s large crowds.
Tags (1)
Level 3

Then I guess I am guilty. I saw an item that I was interested in and I asked way below the asking price because I knew the item was not worth what the seller was asking. Sometimes we place sentimental value (which is often very high) on items, so the item will just sit waiting for a buyer. I was waiting for the seller's counter offer. Had I received the counter offer, I would have been a potential buyer. It was two days later that I found a better deal.

Tags (1)