DEALING WITH LOW BALLERS

I too have that problem selling antiques , some people just dont get it , I've been told ridiculous things like " I can get a brand new one for 1/2 that price " I'm thinking ,then go get 1 , .I don't say it offensively I tell them thats a great idea you should go get it new since that's what it seems you want. I set a rule for myself not EVER to take less than a 50% profit .shhh I didn't share that with the world but its a rule that everyone should follow otherwise we should say all our items are FREE.
Community Manager

Welcome to the community, @VirgoPower! Thanks for sharing your secret with us, we won't tell Smiley Wink

So true! I really dislike people who I meet up with and they try to low ball me right on the spot I just tell them to pay the price that we agreed on or they can turn around and go home and I’ll just sell it to someone else. But anyways great post man and a lot of wonderful tips!
Community Manager

Totally agree, @Rice2k! I honestly can't believe that people try to lowball in person! Or try to pull the "oh, I don't have any change" tactic. Can't say I really blame people for trying, but it certainly is annoying and not an honest selling/buying technique.

Welcome to the community, btw! Are you more of a buyer or a seller? Do you just really like Rice? I have so many questions, @Rice2kSmiley LOL

Level 1
Hello. I have many items of sentimental value, in which I will price higher than other vintage items. I know that's what spme call a collector's item, in my book.

If I love it that much, I don't mind holding it on my shelf, until the real buyer, not reseller to collector, comes along, for me to release it.

Also, mom had good taste, so I can't sell her stuff at Woolworth/Walmart prices.😔
Level 8
Thanks homie! 🙏🙏🙏
Level 1
Never, ever compare antique items to new items.

Going to flea markets, I've heard that line. I simply say to go buy that new item and look at it in 20 years, if it's still worth using.
Level 1
You might want to try this:
Oh , so you’re telling me you want it for 50% off the asking price. Hmmm, okay here is my asking price $$$$$$$$$. You got a deal, 50% off the asking price just like you wanted . Lol
Level 1

Nice tips. I especially like the can-do attitude. So, many folks get such a nasty demeanor and attitude that they become jaded, worst case, they end up discouraging not only themselves from a platform such as this but can discourage those buyers that have very little experience or courage to negotiate. Therefore taking not only buyers and sellers but poisoning the pool all around them.

I've dabbled in negotiation and consider myself up to the task and familiar with the different styles different cultures utilize. Still, there are some general rules or I should say there was etiquette. Gentlemen's rules so to speak. Like offering less than 50 percent is frowned upon and seen as sleazy, low brow regardless of what the asking price is. If it's too high, move on. they'll lower the price sooner or later or someone will want it bad enough to pay the premium.

On offer up, those days are gone, long gone and I found myself becoming very bitter and insulted. I caught myself when I had offered someone somewhere 75% of what they were asking and I didn't use the offer option but the ask option, for I find just getting or sending a number really doesn't benefit anyone. The person responded unhinged. He was stark raving mad. My response was to educate and I explained that one should be pleased that they received some interest in their item as I've had items that become so lonely,(I sometimes sell very specialized items that can take a year to find the right just due to the small buyers pool) that any interest is good interest as provides if nothing else feedback and reassurance that there are buyers out there and even  a "low baller"  is a high probability buyer if handled properly and politely and percieved as a good lead whereas many businesses' pay millions of dollars year after year for luke warm if not cold leads. 

And that's really what they are. As the OP addressed, a low baller may or may not have the means or ability to close the deal as is, but he has a desire. Once you find out the obstacles, you'll find the ball is firmly in your court and you if you can creatively solve their problems, they'll pay you for it, though sometimes as the OP stated, it might not be cash today, it could be more cash tomorrow. Too many sellers fall into a self-righteous us against them mindset and it finds them chasing away buyers through various channels. Who hasn't seen the ad, NO LOWBALLERS, I WILL DELETE YOUR MESSAGE IF YOU DON'T RESPOND AS I DIRECT. Or this one, SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY.

I'd like to say that seller saw the light. In a way he did. While he chewed my ass royally he wouldn't let me go either. Like a sticky ex-girlfriend, he just kept messaging, at first every day, lowering the price, revealing details. Over the course of about 3 weeks, this fellow became what you might call a "Salesman".  I will admit his original response cooled my desire for the item and I didn't block him obviously, but I didn't respond either. I was actually relieved when I saw the item had sold as I had started to feel sorry for him and little guilty.

What's the takeaway? Offer up is what we see it as and if we feel that there are only losers and flakes, guess what? That is what it will become, I promise you. So next time you get an offer that is way off, don't get mad, smile because if everything came easy, it wouldn't be fun and we wouldn't know easy. Look at the message for what it is, a person. A person who doesn't know how to tell you what is preventing them from paying you to eliminate your own.

Oh, yeah, Get rid of the Offer option or at the very least include a dialogue box that requires terms. perhaps when and where or possible trades. Cause just a Number is pretty rude.

Crawling off my soapbox...

Level 8
😂😂😂💯💯💯