Lowballers & no shows& holds

Level 3
Hi 👋 all, I just wanted to see if anyone else has this problem. I price my stuff always lower than half of the retail price that walmart, amazon has listed, and alot of customers will still offer next to nothing for the item. I am confident that my items are already super cheap. They even want cheaper if. Have it listed at $5. When I do agree to a lower price, most of the time they don’t even bother to show up and if they do, they show up in expensive cars with $100 bills. I know everyone has different circumstances but so many try to take advantage. I am supporting my kids on this and try to fair to everyone. I also had to stop holding items for people because I was losing alot of sales. I have put a 2 hour limit on holds. Any advice? Thank you 🙏🏼
Tags (1)
111 REPLIES 111
OfferUp employee

Can anyone give @Dukeydukey1 some advice? Smiley Happy You can also try asking in the Pro Tips forum to see if anyone has some tips for you there! 

Omg I get that all the time. I've gotten to the point that when someone is like that I reply with LMAO UM NO. I know that it's rude but I mean come on. I priced my ring way below what it should be and it get ppl wanting it for $50 when it should be $500 but I have it priced for $200
Tags (1)
Level 1
I use the app to sell my refinished furniture. I also use the app to find reasonably price furniture to redo. You can imagine the $100 offers I get on $500 items.

Realize that a lot of users use the app as flippers. They want your items as cheap as possible. They give up messaging whenever they want.

Keep adding that you don't hold items for extended periods of time. There isn't much else you can do about it
Level 3
Thanks for the advice. I will put no holds/no exceptions in my ads. I’ll try putting price firm too. 😊
I always price my items at least $5-$10 above what I'm willing to take for the item. I've found that most buyers try to drop me at least $5 and some of the higher prices items they'll try to get for $10-$15 off. Anything more than $10 I usually just thank them for their interest and explain that the least we can take for it is blah blah blah, if they want the item they'll still buy and if they were just trying to see what they can get away with I usually won't hear back from them. For people who I've worked out a price with and haven't heard back from I'll just send a courtesy message in case they forgot, something like "Hi, just wanted to check in and see if you still wanted (item) before I move on to the next buyer", usually they'll say they're not interested or they'll give a time to meet up right away because they don't want to lost the item. And for no shows, I try to wait until the person says they are on the way before leaving for the meet up spot and then just keep open communication about where I am, what kind of car I have, what their eta is and that kinda thing!
Level 9
People are always going to try and low-ball you. Everyone wants a great deal. Here's my advice. Price your items higher to start. That where you have room to allow bargaining and still not drive your prices too low. Also I have found that pricing things to low can actually make them harder to sale because people think something's wrong with it. For example I had a oak dining room table with two leaves and 6 chairs I put on for sale at $100 to start I got hardly any views and no offers. So I tried reducing the price to $75 still no go. Finally I got frustrated and reposted them but this time put the price at 140 bucks and within an hour I had a buyer And they didn't even haggle over the price. Some people some people equate price with quality. Just something to keep in mind. Good luck.
Level 1
jd41- Your advice is ABSOLUTELY SO TRUE and a great reminder! I just learned myself that I’m actually devaluing my items when I post them cheaper. Had a dead line for my furniture to be sold so I kept dropping the price even after listing it for cheaper then what it was worth. The second I bumped the price to a higher amount I instantly got more reviews and people interested! So kudos to you for bringing that up...great point!
Level 9
Thanks.
Level 4
Awesome advice ...i try to leave my item for at least 24 hours at the orignal asking price mainly just to see what kund of hits i am getting .I get my same liwballers and I tell them I just posted it and its staying at the price cuz it was just listed