PayPal Anyone?

SOLVED
Level 1

Brand new to OfferUp and just completed my first sale today. We have been selling items online for 6 years though. I have seached the forums on PayPal and it seems like most posts go un-answered or the question isn't exactly my question. I like using PayPal because, although some people try to scam me, they have protected me as a seller 100% of the time. I process about 1,500 payments a year through PayPal, pay a 2.9% fee and really have no issues with them or scammers.

That said- is it okay for me to mention in my listings that I only accept PayPal? Is it okay to use PayPal labels for shipping?- which we use to mail things purchased from us all the time. They have discounted pricing and then I am protected from fraudulent buyers, in most cases. 

Is there any reason I can't keep using PayPal? Paypal accepts all credit cards, checks and even Venmo? Do I have to use OfferUp exclusively for shipping transactions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
You must use offer up payment system and labels. No other labels can be used. You can accept paypal for picked up items if you wish, just not for shipping. You can't mention it in your listings.
12 REPLIES 12
Level 9
You must use offer up payment system and labels. No other labels can be used. You can accept paypal for picked up items if you wish, just not for shipping. You can't mention it in your listings.
Offerup has their own system and is not supported with PayPal so no I would not recommend that and I don't think PayPal will protect you against a claim if it happened because they are not affiliated and would be against the OU terms of service.
Level 1

Each time someone pays me through PayPal it offers me a chance to print a label, it hasn't seemed to matter where I got the money from- invoice, PayPal Here, etc. They also protect me for anything I sell where someone pays me through PayPal. That said, OfferUp just verified that I am not allowed to use PayPal.

It would have been nice if they actually stated that in their rules since I spent an hour reading through them all and it never even mentions PayPal. 

Thanks for the help!

Its in the tos on the site. Offerup does a great job at providing shipping labels I don't have to do anything but print the label. They automatically add in everything.
Please also know from my experience that paypal does not always cover everything its up to them and even says so in the tos "We do not have any control over, and are not responsible or liable for, the products or services that are paid for with our PayPal Service. We cannot ensure that a buyer or a Seller you are dealing with will actually complete the transaction. PayPal is not a common carrier or public utility."
Level 1

I just chatted with an OfferUp rep and received some clarifications, which was very helpful.

I've been selling, using PayPal, for 6 years and probably about 10,000 transactions. Once a transaction is completed they offer good protections to the sellers. However, I have read some stuff on google that seems to say that OfferUp also has good seller protections. I guess I will find out!

Level 1
payment through paypal pending policy it  protect the right of the buyer and the seller and it’s the best option
@Spring09 No, I think you should read Paypals terms of service. PayPal is not linked with this site, they do not protect you under all circumstances.
Level 1
@brightmonnatone But you’re absolutely wrong...I’ve been using this for over 3 years now and is working very fine
Community Manager

Hi there! OfferUp Employee chiming in! We recommend NOT using PayPal. We can't support transactions where 3rd party companies are involved. We're only able to offer our Buyer Protection if OfferUp Payments and Shipping was used.