Shipping size and more options? what dose it mean

SOLVED
Level 3

Hello. I have lots of shipping questions that don't seem to be answered. So is there any way of selecting a size for shipping. It seems like we can only add the weight but nothing with the size. How can this even work. I could be shipping something that is only 1 pound but 40 by 40 by 1 inch or something that is not many pounds but is huge. 

The reason I ask is I am selling my art. The problem with art is like drawings/paintings and what not is they are low in pounds but large in size. I offer shipping on some but feel I could be hurting myself if the shipping price is based on pounds and not specific to size. It has to be specific to size in some way.  Also can we combine shipping. What if say a buyer decides to buy 2-5 things from the same person at the same time. Will the shipping technology account for this. Will it charge them more or understand we the seller would be putting everything in one box. What if we want to insure the shipping or offer something extra. Will we have to pay for that or would that be up to the buyer. I feel we should insure our shipments. Also is there a way to give the customer money back. This would be in case  we overestimate.   

Oh another question. How long is our grace period in terms of getting are shipment to the post office. Is it assumed that we must get it in the day the buyer buys it or is it understood it may take a day or so. Also what if its Sunday or late Saturday and the post office is closed. Also can we ship outside the post office or must the shipments be in the post office and not through fedex or something(I feel some shipments may be cheaper with fedex or UPS)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
That is correct. @REMEMBRANCE
With the commercial based labels ou provides, the max weight is 20lbs
One small trick, (and god if ou ever changes this I will die 😂) the labels read as
.5 lbs first class but prints a 15oz label
1-3 lbs prints a 10lb label
3-10 prints 18lbs
And the max weight 20lbs prints as stated (around $30)

This makes ou the CHEAPEST SHIPPING on any platform for 1-18lb items. This is advantageous for sellers and buyers alike.

As far as bundles, it does not adjust label. In fact, if you adjust the price of a listing to reflect a bundle, the buyer will need to make a new offer. Be sure to double check that it is accepted at the NEW price, sometimes it remains the same initial price if done too quickly
The insurance provided is $50 on any Priority pacakge- $0 on first class, no additional insurance can be purchased.
For shipping large items such as artwork, it will depend soley on your postal office. Some will not accept a package that large without trying to charge dimensional weight, others will accept it with the pre printed label. My local p.o. is strict. So if I have to I drive an extra 10 mins to another p.o. that is more lenient

5 REPLIES 5
Community Helper
Hey there @followthedon
Noticed your post from way back... did you get a resolve?
Personally, have not used the shipping feature to date...
Believe the max HxLxW is 108" on items shipped for OU via USPS.
@RevivalGypsy is an OfferUp "Super Shipper"... hopefully she will verify this for you. GLTU!
Level 9
One small trick, (and god if ou ever changes this I will die 😂) the labels read as
3-10 prints 18lbs

This makes ou the CHEAPEST SHIPPING on any platform for 1-18lb items. This is advantageous for sellers and buyers alike.

As far as bundles, it does not adjust label. In fact, if you adjust the price of a listing to reflect a bundle, the buyer will need to make a new offer. Be sure to double check that it is accepted at the NEW price, sometimes it remains the same initial price if done too quickly
The insurance provided is $50 on any Priority pacakge- $0 on first class, no additional insurance can be purchased.
For shipping large items such as artwork, it will depend soley on your postal office. Some will not accept a package that large without trying to charge dimensional weight, others will accept it with the pre printed label. My local p.o. is strict. So if I have to I drive an extra 10 mins to another p.o. that is more lenient

Community Helper
Bravo @RevivalGypsy!
Thanks for your detailed shipping information. Can see why you are a Super Shipper gir!

@RevivalGypsy wrote:
3-10 prints 18lbs

Info/details lke this should be pinned.  It would help many sellers thinking about shipping, since NOTHING like this is available anywhere on OU's site.

Level 1
Good info. Another shopping issue, most likely discussed before: It was going fine until I went to ship a set of 2 antique chairs and smaller table. I agreed to ship thru OfferUp, as that was the customer's preference.
One sold item (here's where OU is not following) and not multiple sales. It's certainly more than 20 lbs. Well, I tripped over that, unfortunately. UPS was not cooperative at all, only said it would be $265 to ship in one box, priced by box size, not weight. Then he basically shrugged.
OU suggested reaching out to the carrier, which I did. I only have the one label and cannot duplicate. I have 60 lbs. to ship. I'm not sure whether OfferUp has much interest in handling large and possibly heavy items.
The customer pre-paid shipping and it will be at least double or triple the cost now. I have to take the heat for the weight confusion. But are there any solutions, creative or otherwise to make this transaction smoother? Reasonable shipping options, not half the price of the item? Sorry for a repeat, but I have been reading here and this seems like the right place for help.
Thanks!!