⚠️ OfferUp is DISCRIMINATING against its user base...see enclosed. ⚠️

Level 3
There are hundreds of users, in this same area (how ever OU defines this area) selling the same items, who's accounts are NOT validated w/an OTP.  There are folks in towns 15 miles away who's accounts are selling nothing but hot iPhones (locked, bad imei, icloud lock etc) in high volume... their accounts have been active for 6 months or longer...no validation via OTP. There are a lot of examples... most listings actually in tech categories.  The automated measures are missing a large volume of users with thos calculations.  So which item flew the flag, we can delete the post. This is pathetic when a user w/my history and items gets singled out (by human or algorithm) as a fraud or danger risk. Something is wrong w/those calculations. How many folks go to such great efforts to maintain their account (w/o OTP) ~ how does that factor into the algorithm?
Level 3

It is the very fact that I was singled out for the verification that is CAUSING the frustration. 

Level 3

5.4. Enable any identification programs we may institute and in which you elect or are required to participate (e.g. TruYou), such as verifying your identity and address, and conduct checks against various publicly available databases"

------

If this rule was applied to EVERYONE, or even everyone who fit a particular defined set of criteria, then I get it and would be ok w/it.  BUT, it doesn't. This is not being applied uniformly across the user base, nor across a subset of users that fit a level of criteria.

I am selling an iPhone...one iPhone, my iPhone. I am selling only one, as I have upgraded. Pretty basic stuff. I always sell my older iPhones. Think I might have sold one before on this very platform. Outside of that, the other items are small things.

There are people selling 4-8-20 iPhones... hot as a fire on a cold winter's day...outright blocked phones, locked iCloud accounts, bad imei numbers..you name it. They have active accounts, never once validated w/OTP, cruising along. Their profile shows 20, 40 of them sold in the past... these are what many would consider high risk.

Thank you for sharing you are not w/the OU staff. Aside from yanking posts, it appears OU has remained out of this topic. Any info from support channels keep evading the topic w/generalities, stating importance of trust, etc.

@pixelrogue 

Ask any Civil Rights attorney or the ACLU, as you are NOT a victim of discrimination.

You have a flawed understanding of what discrimination means. This is why reading comprehension is a necessity in all adolescent literacy programs.

However, I get it...you have 1x iPhone for sale and feel lke you are getting shafted with the security protocals when others are not,  but OfferUp is not a public service, nor have any obligation to fulfill your needs.  There are plenty of other platfoms.

Level 3

Post either keep getting pulled, or never make it to post. I had resonded to this post on Friday.

Level 3

It would difficult to prove, as is the case with most discrimination and prejudice cases. 

In addition, it would require also proving damage, or having been harmed, to matter. 

Terms of ‘definition’ of discrimination, this situation squarely fits. 

Other users fitting the same conditions and criteria are not required to validate w/OTP. 

Cut and dry situation. I included a few definitions earlier in this thread.

Rules and conditions need to apply equally to those same group of people (however OU wants to define that group of people.) It is not equally applied. OU refuses to share its definition, policies, or criteria for such determinations. Squarely fits and runs parallel with situations of discrimination. 

This would be the equivalent of someone refusing to rent a home to someone because they didn’t like what they way someone looked. Sure, that person looking to rent a home can look elsewhere, there are other homes to rent ~ yet just not this house (for that person, even though they meet all the criteria required to rent the home.). Just because the person needing to rent a home can find another home elsewhere does not preclude the home owner from the act of discrimination. ADA would support that example. 

Side note ~ I did not attack, insult patronize nor disparage anyone in this topic (nor in the app) so comments such as reading comprehension are unwarranted….(even when 100% of the OU responses failed to address the topic as if reading compression was below average.) 

@pixelrogue wrote:

Side note ~ I did not attack, insult patronize nor disparage anyone in this topic (nor in the app) so comments such as reading comprehension are unwarranted….(even when 100% of the OU responses failed to address the topic as if reading compression was below average.) 

I did not insult you, as I stated facts. You keep implying that you are a victim of discrimmination, which is just your opinion. What I have stated are facts. I will end my discourse  with this post.

Level 3

Response appears to again have vanished.

1) There were references to 'reading comprehension' etc. in an earlier post...comments which appear to have since been edited or removed. That is what I referenced in terms on treatment.

2) Facts are that there are other users that meet the same exact criteria as my profile and behaviors, yet they are not required for OTP validation. THAT is the discrimination.

For this to NOT be descrimination, the rules must be applied to everyone in the same category and equally enforced. That is not happening, and the rules are, by design, not transparent. 

Level 3

As a stop-gap measure, I have asked support to delete the iPhone posting to restore account credentials... lesson learned... will not sell an iPhone on OfferUp.

Community Manager

@pixelrogue My guess is that the 4 phone posts and the iPad post may have triggered this requirement. You also had several posts in the past with an item price over $400,000. Again, as stated previously certain locations or high dollar items may trigger the requirement.

Again, there is no discrimination here.  You simply preformed actions that trigger an automated request for further verification. 

You said something about the % of users that are challenged by this identification request, wondering how many people complete this verification. Most people can submit the required documents and get approved within minutes. About 99% of the users we request additional identification from complete this. You are currently one of the very few people that I've come across in the past 3+ years that insists this is discrimination and refuse to complete the verification. You could have had your account verified by now, but rather argue that OfferUp is discriminating when that is not the case.

Lastly - "This is pathetic when a user w/my history and items gets singled out (by human or algorithm) as a fraud or danger risk" 

Why are you looking at this in this way? We are trying to ensure your safety, not single you out as a fraud or danger risk. I don't understand how a security measure in place to protect our community can be seen as identifying someone as a danger risk?