A potential buyer wants to use Venmo

SOLVED
Level 7
I told the buyer that I use the Offer Up app only to protect the buyer and seller. He said he's not set up yet on OU. I might have lost a sale but I'd rather be safe than sorry. My Paypal account got hacked today so I don't want to take too many chances. He also requested that I drop that $5 shipping fee and mail locally since he is in my state. Any thoughts on this venmo app?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Helper
@Otis1--I would encourage you not yo go outside of the OfferUp app because if you do & something should go wrong, you will not be protected.
13 REPLIES 13
Level 1
I use Venmo all the time for my sold items, family and all sorts of things. It’s a legit app I think it’s owned by PayPal. I’ve never had any trouble with it. Fees are pretty low too!
Highlighted
Level 7
Thank you SindyPMW, good to know. I wish they can also do option for free shipping here or shipping a small light weight item for less than $5.
Tags (1)
Community Helper
@Otis1--I would encourage you not yo go outside of the OfferUp app because if you do & something should go wrong, you will not be protected.
Level 1
Yes! That’s a great idea also!
Community Helper
Welcome to the Community forums
@SindyPNW!
Your feedback, and tips are definitely enjoyed by the members. Would suggest, however, viewing the TOS/Guidelines, to ensure you are protected when using the shipping option. As @Hi-there stated, in order to receive "Buyer Protection"... ALL sales should be paid for, through the in App payment processing system, to be on the safe side. GLTU!
Ciao´ for now... Smiley Happy
C11
Level 3
I used Venmo for a sale. You can use the "transfer funds in a few days" to avoid the transfer cost. I'd call Venmo with any questions about refunds etc. If something were to occur.
Level 7
I decided to lose the sale instead, I'm seeing people are getting scammed every day on here. They are probably making a business out of it and all these innocent people are getting taken advantage of. I'm not taking chances. I got hacked through my paypal and wasnt even doing anything. There's a scam going around where on your paypal statement shows Bath & Body gift card $100 charge. I was able to catch it before it hit my account, even got paypal to check IP address and it linked to New York. Needless to say Paypal stopped the charge and will investigate further to shut them down. Please follow the right steps on using this app so we don't get scammed and allow the theives to get away.
Level 3
It also sounds like using this app to get paid can be problematic so I think you did the right thing. Better to be safe all around. Just because they say you get protection when you end up having to chase your money it doesn’t sound like there’s much protection coming your way.
Level 3
Honestly I've sold many items already and always got paid through Offer Up. Once you sell a few items you get paid quicker. Fortunately I haven't been scammed yet on here only with Paypal. Paypal I spoke to right away and that issue was resolved.