Are TruYou users easier to hold accountable in the event of a scam?

SOLVED
Level 3

I'm considering purchasing an item from a TruYou verified and having it shipped. It's a great deal, almost too good to be true. Their account only has this one item. They have no ratings. They don't want to recieve payment through the app, and will only accept payment through apps that don't include buyer protection. When questioned about why they won't use the app to make the transaction, they said they've been scammed in the past: the buyer refused to cough up the money. These are all MAJOR red flags, I don't think i'm being too paranoid lol.

However, this account was created in 2015, and the user is TruYou verified. 

Let's say they send me an empty box after I pay them via Venmo and they delete their account.

I want to know if I can hold this user accountable in the event of a scam via their TruYou verification. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 9

@christianyun

Do not use a 3rd party payment alternative for shipped items. Otherwise, there will be no buyer protection available.

TruYou is only a deterrent and can only assist the buyer "after the fact", since the seller can be identified. It is not a measure of someone's character.

IMO, you should stay within the system that was built to protect the buyer. You may want to search the forums, for those who decided to pay by other means and are left holding the bag.

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 9

@christianyun

Do not use a 3rd party payment alternative for shipped items. Otherwise, there will be no buyer protection available.

TruYou is only a deterrent and can only assist the buyer "after the fact", since the seller can be identified. It is not a measure of someone's character.

IMO, you should stay within the system that was built to protect the buyer. You may want to search the forums, for those who decided to pay by other means and are left holding the bag.

Tags (1)
Level 3
Haha I figured. Thanks so much for the tip!