Be aware: Scam 100%

SOLVED
Level 1
Any time someone asks you to use an outside form of contact other than offer up, beware.just last week I had someone hit me up about an item I had posted . Said they wanted to buy it . I replied as usual and was told that his mum was the one who was buying the item. And she supposedly wasn’t hip to offer up so he gave me her number and name and asked me to text her. I didn’t catch it at the time but I went along with it thinking it was a little off . Specially because the number was not any area code for surrounding areas. He thanked me for the quick response and I did as he asked cause he said she was waiting . I text and she did not reply . I messaged him again through offer up and told him she never responded . He told me that she would get back to me ASAP. So the next evening I recurved a text from that number he had me text and she asked me what the lowest price I would go on the item. I told her the price and she said she would send a cashiers check and that her supper would be taking care of the transporting of the item. Seeing as this item was posted on my account for a friend of mine I connected the two of them to finish out the business. Well my friend said the cashiers check was sent and that she was to ship the item to the purchaser after the check cleared . Then my friend received a text from a different number stating that the purchasers finacial person made a mistake and wrote the check out for 1850.00 and that she hoped that she could trust my friend to give the remaining balance to the shipper because of the mistake made. The check is supposed to be at a fedex facility in my friends name. She didn’t have time to pick it up cause of having to be at work. Well something didn’t set right so she started investigating and found out this is all a scam to dupe people out of their product and their money from their bank accounts . These people are sending fake cashiers checks out for an average of $2000 and using various excuses in hopes that you’ll deposit the check in your account ‘. Once it clears they get the remainder of the check amount right from your account and weeks later when the bank Finds the check to be fake your are leftbwithbthe overdraft and all the fees for that check ... thankfully this instance was caught onto before any of the processing steps were able to take place . Close call ... so be aware and don’t let anyone try and talk you into doing business in the side . OfferUp states specifically forbid not to conduct any business outside of their service . And this is for our own saftey and privacy protection as well as to keep business transactions on the level between those of us who value and use this service. I’ve bought and sold many items here and haven’t ever had an experience like this one . So be cautious and always aware of things that don’t seem quite right . This experience dinhave a positive to it aside from the lesson. It brought me to become part of the community. And I am oriveledged to be able to give my feedback and share what ever I can with everyone in order to keep ya all as safe as possible and to help inform and stay aware of scammers and thieves. Thank you OfferUp ! And thank you community. My one question is how should this be handled from this point . Do we pick up that check and take it to the police or what?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
"My one question is how should this be handled from this point . Do we pick up that check and take it to the police or what?"

If you have the time why not.

Although the FTC suggests:

"If you think you’ve been targeted by a counterfeit check scam, report it to the following agencies:

The Federal Trade Commission
The U.S. Postal Inspection Service"

You can also just let it sit there or trash it via shredder.

It has no real value after all.

Block the user.

This is a common scam and people who fall for it might not understand that a bad check can bounce after it has been deposited and the funds show up in your account. So while it may seem legitimate at the time, you can be on the hook if you waste any of it.

If you stop and think about it, who besides an employer, offers checks as a form of payment?

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Community Helper
I personally dont go off app at any point when making a sale. I make it a point not to give them my number or email. I've gotten told that I wasnt a real person, but I shrugged it off and blocked the person. I also report anyone that I know to be running a scam.
Level 9
"My one question is how should this be handled from this point . Do we pick up that check and take it to the police or what?"

If you have the time why not.

Although the FTC suggests:

"If you think you’ve been targeted by a counterfeit check scam, report it to the following agencies:

The Federal Trade Commission
The U.S. Postal Inspection Service"

You can also just let it sit there or trash it via shredder.

It has no real value after all.

Block the user.

This is a common scam and people who fall for it might not understand that a bad check can bounce after it has been deposited and the funds show up in your account. So while it may seem legitimate at the time, you can be on the hook if you waste any of it.

If you stop and think about it, who besides an employer, offers checks as a form of payment?

View solution in original post

Level 1
Thank you so much !!! Will let you know the outcome .
Same thing happened to me, not only once but twice and as well thankfully I am smart enough to to smell something when it's fawl. But the checks do look real. Be careful?
Neighbor

What was the outcome? im just curious cause i was stupid enough to do the same thing I already sent the address to send the checkt too but once i realized i blocked on offerup and on my email but what do i have coming?

Good evening thank you to the community, never actually made a deal from here, but a lot of people told me about the app and today I posted a watch within 5 minutes I had a buyer ""I'm ok with the asking price and bla bla bla" she offered me a a check sent through FedEx overnight, once the check cleared the she was going to send ""a mover for the item"", everything got me suspicious and then I found all these similar sad cases describing my situation. So I told her that she could write me through the app, and that I didn't want any check, cash app is good for me but she never answer me back. How can you stop these scammers?? This is serious. Thank you
Level 2
I don't make deliveries and don't meet with anybody in the streets. Just avoiding problems. I only sell from my house around 30 to 50 miles in my neighborhood...always someone in your neighborhood will buy from you..take my advice..good luck..
Pretty much the same thing happened to me... My cashier's check was $1,950. Luckily Chase immediately froze my account. Reported it to the PD, who referred me to the FBI.
Level 3
Hey yall I was here posting about a possible scam and yes it was man from Oregon wanted to buy my car I had posted told me hold it a couple days he would send me a cashiers check. He would never go through offer up but just on my messenger anyway once the check cleared he would send a carrier the check was for 1650.00 . 700.00 dollars to much . When I got the check it didn't look right .I had thought about cashing it regardless but instead I did some research and found out . This check belonged to a necclear plant division .and got a hold of the president of the company I told him I had gotten a check in his company name and he replied to my email .saying not to cash the check . Send a photo to him and tear it up he said there were about 300 checks that have came in and they just keep going . But I was the first person who took out the time to contact him . All I can tell you is I was rewarded for all my inconvenience . And loss by this company. And this man and I are good friends . Just thought I'd share that