Being reported unfairly

SOLVED

I have never had issues with OfferUp and it is one of my favorite platforms for selling items.  I have a 5-star rating and strive for a good community reputation.  I must say though, and don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I posted a few items for free and my like of this community has drastically been reduced.  I was reported multiple times (only after posting FREE items) by users who got upset I said I was selling first come first serve and someone else was available first.  I really wish admins would be more diligent in their research of reports.  I got notified of the reports and "warned" and think it is unfair.  Only with items I have given away for free has this happened and I was very clear on terms, yet the buyers who weren't the ones to get free items got their report validated that I gave it someone else even after clearly telling them first avaiable to take it off my hands gets it, yet I am the one in the wrong.  How do you handle managing potential "buyers" when you are giving items away for free???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 6

@jordanleigh83

OfferUp is a private/for-profit company and will probably not want to spend money on an employee to micro-manage the FREE section.

If you HAPPY as an OfferUp seller, here is your solution: Donate all the FREE stuff to the Salvation Army or some other non-profit (other than the GoodWill).

8 REPLIES 8
Level 6

Hi @jordanleigh83 welcome to the forum,,,,,,,,,,you handle free stuff exactly the way you handle a sale,,,,,,,,,you deal with one person,,,,,you arrange a meetup time,,,,,,anyone else that inquires,,,,,,,,you tell them you already have a pickup pending and will let them know if it doesnt work out.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you really have not given enough details for anyone to give you anymore advice than this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,If you are one of those people that advertise something for free and put in your description first come first serve and then just tell everyone that messages the address ,,,,,,,,,,i think you should be booted off the app,,,,,,,thats no different that arranging to meet a bunch of people for the same item,,,,,you waste a lot of folks time and money they pay for fuel and the think is,,,,,they are doing YOU the favor,,,they are hauling off your garbage.,,,,,,,,,i believe if you anger someone doing that,,,,,you deserve what ever you get,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Level 6

@jordanleigh83

OfferUp is a private/for-profit company and will probably not want to spend money on an employee to micro-manage the FREE section.

If you HAPPY as an OfferUp seller, here is your solution: Donate all the FREE stuff to the Salvation Army or some other non-profit (other than the GoodWill).

Thank you, @0317, and I do agree, putting address on ad for free stuff is NOT the way to go.  I only ever give buyer, whether it is free or not, my address when we have agreed to a time and they let me know (confirm) they are on the way.  Would never set in on curb and put my address in an ad!  It was more that I have had a couple of people who were frustrated I gave away free items to someone else and did not want to hold them (even though I stated in my ad for free items "no holds") and if someone tells me they can be here at 11 and someone else says 10, I will coordinate with first person who says they are available (when it is free and I have made first come first served noted).  I guess I was more just venting that I was reported by a couple of people who did not agree with FCFS for my free items.  Thank you for your response!

Level 3
I'm getting feed up with this app as well. I don't see why they don't accept PayPal to either pay for an item or receive funds. Everyone is just doing it on the side?!? My suggestion is don't list it for free..lol
If I saw a free add and someone told me "I was selling first come first serve" that would also lead me to believe you were "selling". I think I would have said first come first serve and left out the word selling.
Level 6
I agree with Bright Moonstone. The wording is wrong in your post, it should have said, "First come, first serve" The word selling should not have been in that post, if these items are being given away for free. Otherwise, those people who complained about you are being sore losers who didn't get their way. These immature people always have to take things out on others. Tell Offerup about this and really I don't think you should be rated poorly over giving away things for free. That's just pathetic!
@Salt_Springs OfferUp doesnt allow PayPal because PayPal is another method of protection if OfferUp screws you over.

(Also, never pay with or give out your debt account/card number. Always use credit cards as they offer protection.)
Highlighted
@MyStuffisGreat There is one person that I know of that was not protected by PayPal on Offerup because its against PayPal TOS and Offerup TOS to file claims from any site not supported with PayPal. You can read it yourself on PayPal TOS.