Being scammed while OfferUp offers NOTHING to help

Level 1
The fact I have recently been scammed out of my money for an item that became available I was previously interested in that became available again not considering it as a red flag of a scam and believed I was given the opportunity to purchase the item to wait 5-6 days to receive a random piece of garbage in a taped up soap box instead of the as item, inform offerup, contact the person but be ignored, have no refund available until a piece of cord junk that was intentionally is shipped that wasnt the item, and the person still has the ability to repost the item today an hour ago obviously attempting to scam other people is completely ridiculous and wrong on the platforms part and makes it clear and obvious that the lack of customer satisfaction guarantee will leave them at a last option to buy for myself.
16 REPLIES 16
Level 1
Yeah it's a fact of life anywhere on the internet as well as in day to day life; there are scam artists everywhere.
Someone even tried phishing me within 5 minutes after posting my item for sale. Wanted to do a "trade + $25" but provided an obviously fake link for me to see the item he was supposedly offering. The bait was set to have me log into my Facebook account to see the item he had for trade.
As with anything in the world of buying and selling, one must be cautious of nefarious persons looking to gain something from you. Internet or elsewhere. I'm sorry this happened to you and hope that it gets rectified in some way. Good luck to you!
Highlighted
Level 1
Yeah it's a fact of life anywhere on the internet as well as in day to day life; there are scam artists everywhere.
Someone even tried phishing me within 5 minutes after posting my item for sale. Wanted to do a "trade + $25" but provided an obviously fake link for me to see the item he was supposedly offering. The bait was set to have me log into my Facebook account to see the item he had for trade.
As with anything in the world of buying and selling, one must be cautious of nefarious persons looking to gain something from you. Internet or elsewhere. I'm sorry this happened to you and hope that it gets rectified in some way. Good luck to you!
I've had that same scammer about three or four times now. I've never clicked on the link they sent to look at their items
Level 1
I checked out the link using Virtual Machine on Windows just to be safe and it was, as I mentioned, a pseudo Facebook login page. The URL would have even been tricky to many people because it contained the words, "view", and. "Offer Up", in the link. Be careful out there everyone!
Community Manager

Man, scammers will learn and adapt to any obstacles in their way! It will always amaze me how fast they change their behaviors to avoid detection. 

I've passed this information onto our Trust & Safety Risk Analysis team. Thanks for bringing this to our attention! @BrightMoonstone also alerted me of this just the other day as well!

Level 1
Not sure if you're able to see my chat interactions with buyers but, if it helps the webteam, the website he linked was "inbox.views-offerup(dot)online" and his username was Mike.
Community Manager

Just got word that the Risk Analysis team is aware of this new trend and they're working on ways to block this from happening! 

You guys reporting these issues really helps us stay on top of them and resolve them ASAP!

Level 9
@Mj_206 knowing that these bots are gaining access to accounts, what would be the protections if payments or pending funds were stolen or transfer bank accounts changed or accessed?

@RevivalGypsy 

There are no protections when people volunteer their info. All these are phishing scams...meaning that the victims took the "bait" and indirectly (albeit unknowingly) gave others their personal info/passwords.