Being scammed while OfferUp offers NOTHING to help

Level 9
I had a seller tell me that she didnt click on the link. Once she received a few, her account started sending them out. It is a seller that actively posts and ships and was unaware that her account was sending these links. Makes you wonder if our own accounts are compromised @factsdontcare
Community Manager

Hmm, the only time I've ever heard of an account getting compromised after receiving a link is if they clicked the link and entered their information. That's the only way the scammers can get account credentials. 

If someone did happen to compromise an account and attempt to transfer all banking details to their own bank, we'd have all the necessary information to take the appropriate actions against them. Not only do we have measures in place to avoid this (name changes and banking information changes may trigger additional verification requirements) but if they were foolish enough to put in their actual payment information their true nature would be exposed right away. Think of those ink detecting tags added to clothes at a store - a scammer compromising an account and adding their payment info would be like a thief breaking one of those tags then waiving at a store manager with ink-covered hands on their way out. It would just bring attention to their scam.

Level 1
Curious if pictures were involved. Then perhaps someone used the old school "1x1/invisible pixel" tracker technique to start gathering (stealing) user information as they work their way up toward more serious crimes starting with just that simple 'spy pixel' that nobody ever sees. Don't take what I say as gospel though, as I only have a trivial understanding of how much personal data can be obtained when theives begin their dirty work from such a miniscule starting point.
Level 1
Depending on who you bank with, occasionally banks will help you with scam protection. You can call the bank that the card is connected to and possibly tell them your card was used without your explicit approval for a purchase. Often you will then have to have the card end up being null and will need a new card and number. This happened to me years ago when someone, somehow, had my card info and used it for an online purchase. The bank refunded me an gave me a new card/number. However, being that you used the card yourself, the water becomes somewhat murkier than if it was used by an unauthorized person. Still, there are safety nets in place for these sorts of issues and it wouldn't hurt to get in touch with the bank that issued the card to see if they have some sort of recourse for what happened.

Thieves have been using the "SIM Swap" method for over 4 years and can use a network of stolen bank accounts to reroute the funds and withdraw funds.
Once the funds have been routed to an out of the country bank (hint: somewhere with no extradition treaty with the US), wear a "hoodie" backwards, goto to an atm, and withdraw the cash.

Realistically, it takes time and effort for this type of scheme, so thieves are only going to target "seller" accounts that rack up at least 6 figures in sales/month.

Google the following without the quotes:
"sim swap wiping out bank accounts"

As of today, NONE/ZERO of the US based mobile phone service providers have any active security measure to defend against the cloning of the IMEI/MEID/pESN numbers. Just think of the amount of information that is sent/received from your phone.

Level 9
I always look forward to your responses. Always well thought-out and easy to understand. Thank you, I will look that up!
Highlighted
Level 3
THANK YOU FROM THE HEART!! You know it doesn't seem fair that person's with the skills to do what they're doing don't take those skills and pay it forward in or at a job that could benefit one or communies of person's in a great way instead of taking advantage of those who have SOMETHING THEY WANT, AND WANT IT WHAT THEY THINK TO BE THE EASY WAY!!! THANK YOU AGAIN FOR A LESSON WE ALL NEED TO KNOW!!!!