Buyer protection No receipt

SOLVED
Level 1

Hi,

Background: So I got a problem in my first shipping experience thru OfferUp. The item was misdelivered to a wrong address Smiley Sad . I contacted the seller and USPS since day 1 of the problem and still nothing. I even opened a case with USPS and they are still "investigating".

The Problem: I contacted OfferUp to file a buyer protection claim. I get to write what I want and submit it but I didn't receive a receipt or an automated message that says the team has got the claim in the pipeline. I tried again from the computer this time, and still no sign of activity.

The Question:  Is this normal?  And what to do next?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 1

@goblin

FYI, delivered is not the end of the world. The carriers (almost all of them) use GPS on the backend to confirm where the package was lost. To your Q, eBay investigates whatever your claim is as long as you can prove it. In a case like this, they’ll simply reach out to the USPS people and request the GPS location of where the package was last in their posession.

Update 2: I found the package. It was in the Post Office itself. They brought it up after I went there (3rd time) making it clear that I won’t leave till someone gives me a reasonable answer, and carrying a print out of every communication. This included the USPS cae I opened, the Offer Up response dropping the whole thing on my end, and the receipt. BTW, the item suffered some serious damage so I still have a case but I won’t invest more time and stress with the Offer Up team. 

Lessons learnt:

- Do NOT go thru shipping without an insurance on the package and a signature confirmation requested for delivery. If I had these two on my package, I’d have been in a much better shape. Not sure? Make it via UPS or FedEx. Insurance is by default on their packages.

- Do NOT assume this eBay or Amazon just because there’s shipping to your door and some banner says buyer protected. Expect the unexpected.

- Be advised that USPS Parcel Select service is the cheapest for Offer Up/the seller, but also uninsured and the slowest of them all (i.e. your package will be thrown and tossed around for a longer period, which makes it more vulnerable to damage).

14 REPLIES 14
Level 1

Update:

OK, here's an update to complete the story for future reference to others.

OfferUp did receive the claim but for some reason the automated receipt still hasn't showed up in my inbox (so don't be alarmed if you didn't receive one).

And, FYI, the buyer protection does NOT cover misdeliveries (which is pretty weird compared to eBay and other user-to-user trade sites that offer shipping). 

Level 9
"the automated receipt still hasn't showed up in my inbox (so don't be alarmed if you didn't receive one)."

That's good to know.

"And, FYI, the buyer protection does NOT cover misdeliveries (which is pretty weird compared to eBay and other user-to-user trade sites that offer shipping)."

I've never had to return an eBay item, do they really? Huh.

I would have to assume that OfferUp considers it delivered even when USPS messes up.

The delivered address should be listed somewhere, so the buyer has a high chance of receiving the item eventually after the 'investigation'.
Level 1

@goblin

FYI, delivered is not the end of the world. The carriers (almost all of them) use GPS on the backend to confirm where the package was lost. To your Q, eBay investigates whatever your claim is as long as you can prove it. In a case like this, they’ll simply reach out to the USPS people and request the GPS location of where the package was last in their posession.

Update 2: I found the package. It was in the Post Office itself. They brought it up after I went there (3rd time) making it clear that I won’t leave till someone gives me a reasonable answer, and carrying a print out of every communication. This included the USPS cae I opened, the Offer Up response dropping the whole thing on my end, and the receipt. BTW, the item suffered some serious damage so I still have a case but I won’t invest more time and stress with the Offer Up team. 

Lessons learnt:

- Do NOT go thru shipping without an insurance on the package and a signature confirmation requested for delivery. If I had these two on my package, I’d have been in a much better shape. Not sure? Make it via UPS or FedEx. Insurance is by default on their packages.

- Do NOT assume this eBay or Amazon just because there’s shipping to your door and some banner says buyer protected. Expect the unexpected.

- Be advised that USPS Parcel Select service is the cheapest for Offer Up/the seller, but also uninsured and the slowest of them all (i.e. your package will be thrown and tossed around for a longer period, which makes it more vulnerable to damage).

Highlighted
I also purchased an item using Offer Ups shipping option. I submitted an offer to the buyer and she accepted it. She
shipped the item and provided a tracking number. USPS did not
scan her item hence the 3 days has past and they have canceled my
payment. She went to the post office and they ensured that they did
mail it and so we waited for it to be delivered. Now the tracking
number shows it has been delivered and I still have not received it. I have stayed in contact with the seller to try and resolve this. All in all Offer Up ended up giving the seller my payment and till not has not giving me a solution to helping me as a buyer except telling me to contact USPS. I believe Offer Ups Buyer Protection is also a scam and useless just to make their app look legit. I have asked them for help repeatedly. As of now I am i paying for an item I did not receive. I am still hoping they will respond and resolve this issue or I will be spreading the word for users not to use offer ups shipping services.
Community Helper
@Kawaiimomochan Welcome to the OfferUp Community forum,

Kawaiimomochan at this point,
I would also recommend contacting USPS because you’re saying the tracking number shows it has been delivered to your location. Is it possible you’re local post office could be holding you item for pickup because maybe you were out when they tried to deliver your item. I personally believe if you contact USPS they can give you more information on the delivery. I’ve also added the buyers protection information below in need.

https://ask.offerup.com/Legal/1000062471/Buyer-protection-on-OfferUp.htm
@Hotrod I did. They said if it’s delievered and they used gps. They said maybe my package was stolen and that I should try to file a claim. But offer up stopped responding to me in my email.
Level 4
@Kawaiimomochan If OfferUp is scamming you by not providing buyer protection, file a charge back with your credit card. Contact your credit card and say you have been scammed and need to do a charge back.
@NotAFan thank you. That will be my next move.
Community Helper
Hey @Kawaiimomochan please disregard user NotAFan advise in the post above, OfferUp is not scamming anyone. I’m going to tag you into thread topic; @Mj_206 Community manager “How To Use The OfferUp Help Center” you will find a link to the Help Center highlighted in green near the top of the thread just tap on that word-> you can do two searches ->“Item wasn't delivered” also search
“Item lost in the mail” following instructions both have the contact us button at the bottom of each page. I’m sorry I am not on any support teams. any questions about looking into your account will need to be answered by support. As I don’t have access to account information to resolve your issue. Regards Hotrod