Buyer said I sent an "Empty Box"

Level 1

Hi, I sold a pair of Jordans on offer up last week. It took about 6 days or so for the item to arrive to the buyer's house. Today, he told me that upon opening the box, he was greeted with a box... within the box I sent. HOWEVER, it was a calvin klein box and it was empty? First, I never sent a calvin klein box and hell, I don't own any CK shoes. He also claimed that it's possible that UPS opened the box and stole the goods, but that isn't possible. That would be illegal, wouldn't it? The buyer opened a claim and requested a refund, which I rightfully denied. I'm afraid that I wouldn't be protected in this scenario, but I'm more than certain I sent Jordans within a Jordan box.. 

What's the next steps that I can take? Any help? I really don't want to be scammed of my shoes shoes and of money.

Any help is appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
Level 1

Also.. I would like to include that I would not be scamming under a real name. I wouldn't scam to begin with. My profile is my name and if I were scamming, wouldn't it be smart not to use my name? My point is I have integrity to be real.

Level 1
Level 9
This is one of those common scams. Particularly on certain items like what you sold. Offerup will be the ones to decide. Likely not in your favor since they dont investigate beyond a buyers statement
They may refund and also pay you. It varies. You could also file a claim of fraud with shipping carrier as they are now being accused of theft. They dont open random boxes looking for jordans. The entire claim (scam) is ridiculous
Level 9
Screen shot everything on transaction page and messages
It will be lost if they refund
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi there @jpiolo - I'm sorry to hear about this! I took a look, and it appears that this buyer has attempted doing this before. I added some notes to the account and your case. The Customer Care team will likely follow up.

Level 4
Sorry this happened to you. I used to sell on Ebay and stopped because of scumbags like this. Also, another reason I refuse to ship items under any circumstance. Too many thieving scammers and weirdos out there.
Level 1

Thank you! That would be included in this case? I received an email from support team and they stated that they're requesting for evidence from the buyer. I assume he'll submit the photos of the empty CK box. Could my evidence be that he's done this before?

Level 1

Thank you! I took a screenshot of everything, like you had suggested. And I also opened a claim with UPS to confirm that no one actually opened the box.

Level 9
These buyers need to be removed and reported to authorities asap. We need to be more proactive in shutting this kind of activity down otherwise not only will they continue but they will multiply like cockroaches knowing they can get away with this action! Offer Up needs to do more to deter these people since they will overun this app and scare customers away.