Can we please not allow Dogs, Cats, and other pets to be Sold or put up for free!

SOLVED
Highlighted
Level 9
As a dog trainer and animal rescue non-profit I see dogs and cats on Offer Up, (This is not Pets Up!) this is allowing puppy mills and back yard breaders to sell pups when we should not support at all since they only care about profit and not the animals well-being. I try my best to flag these people or offer an alternative to place at a rescue organization near them rather than give away to a stranger. Please we need to remember to be an advocate for these animals as they cannot speak for themselves and may be put in harms way..Thank you for caring 💟🐕🐶
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Hi there @Danielle4990 and @Otis1! Welcome to the community.

Animals are absolutely not permitted on OfferUp. If you see any, please report them right away so our team can remove the post. 

OfferUp Prohibited items guidelines

Animals

Our policy around animals and wildlife products represents OfferUp’s commitment to improving animal welfare in our own communities and in helping to protect threatened and endangered animals around the world.

You can certainly post many types of animal products. However, live animals are never allowed, including:

Pets
Farm animals and livestock
Insects
Marine life

5 REPLIES 5
Exactly. Offer up is quick to take down a listing for legal smoking utensils, but are okay with tons of postings of our innocent fur babies being sold on here... NOT ok.
Community Manager

Hi there @Danielle4990 and @Otis1! Welcome to the community.

Animals are absolutely not permitted on OfferUp. If you see any, please report them right away so our team can remove the post. 

OfferUp Prohibited items guidelines

Animals

Our policy around animals and wildlife products represents OfferUp’s commitment to improving animal welfare in our own communities and in helping to protect threatened and endangered animals around the world.

You can certainly post many types of animal products. However, live animals are never allowed, including:

Pets
Farm animals and livestock
Insects
Marine life

Community Helper
Offerup algorithms tend to catch some but not all. All you can do is report the animals being sold.
Community Manager

Very true, @aidenholley! We do have measures in place to auto-detect prohibited items. For weapon and animal related posts, I think the statistic is something crazy like 98% are removed before they hit the feed. Reporting those that slip through the cracks will help tons! 

Level 9
A first priority should be animals, sadly there were many listings that popped up and I was surprised. Be aware this is the time of year for an influx of animals being listed. I think Offer up needs to not only take it down but the ones that do slip through the cracks they need to set reminders to sellers about that prohibited list. Lets Keep Animals Safe 😁