Canceled transaction but offerup still took money from my account

Level 1
I sent an offer to the seller. When he accepted it, offerup immediately sent a message saying the transaction was canceled and my money would be refunded. There is no evidence of a transaction or withdrawal of my money under payments and transactions. Am I ever going to see my money again, or has it disappeared into the interweb?
4 REPLIES 4
Community Helper
@Bigpanda81 let me be one of the first to welcome you to the OfferUp Community forum,

Buyer protection on OfferUp
Last updated August 8, 2018
How buyer protection works
When an item is paid for and shipped through OfferUp, the buyer may be protected if certain problems occur. Buyer protection covers up to $500 for eligible issues, as described in this document.
Buying with OfferUp payments
What is covered
The following issues are covered when bought and shipped through OfferUp’s program:
* Seller fails to ship the item
* There was undisclosed damage to the item
* An item is incorrect or missing
* The item received is not as described
If the item isn’t shipped within 6 days of payment, the buyer's payment may be canceled. Their funds will be returned to the account or card originally used. It may take 3-5 business days for the funds to return to the buyer’s account or card.
The buyer's payment is held until the transaction is complete. The transaction is considered complete if no buyer protection claim is made within a 3-day period after item delivery. At that point, the payment is released to the seller.
Once the payment has been released to the seller, all sales are final and no refunds will be issued.
What isn't covered
* An item doesn't fit or the buyer doesn't like it
* An item is prohibited by OfferUp
* The purchase was made in cash
* The purchase was conducted through payment or shipping systems outside of OfferUp
How to use buyer protection
1. Within 3 days of receiving the item, use the Contact Us button at the bottom of this article. 
2. Select Submit a buyer protection claim in the form and enter your reason for using buyer protection. We’ll also need your transaction ID to find details about your purchase. You can find it on your receipt. Open it from your messages about the item, or:
* Tap

*  Account
* Tap Payments and receipts, then Transactions
* Select the receipt for the item you have questions about
* Scroll to Payment info for the transaction ID
3. OfferUp will review the request and take corresponding action. OfferUp reserves the right to deny requests.
4. On approval, OfferUp will provide return instructions, and the buyer will handle the item accordingly.
5. OfferUp will issue a refund up to $500 in the original form of payment.

Edit; Payment and refund questions
If you have a problem with an item that’s been shipped to you, see Buyer protection. If something doesn’t get shipped, the transaction should automatically cancel after sufficient time has passed, usually 6 days after your offer was accepted. Note that if a shipment is canceled or you’re entitled to a refund for another reason, it may take 3-5 business days to process returning your payment.
You may see a temporary $1 hold on your account when you first add your payment method, and when you make an offer. This will not be charged to you and will not require a refund. 

If you have any other questions please contact customer care through the link below, or you can contact OfferUp through Twitter at OfferUp. 😎🇬🇧🔚

OfferUp Customer care
https://offerup.com/support/new/
I’m having the same issue but it keeps happening every week same day! It’s annoying. The transaction was cancelled since the product got lost but I’m getting a pending amount on my account every week. It’s been happening for almost 2 months, is there a phone number to call?
Highlighted
Community Helper
@And89res there is no number. You can however message them via the link provided.
Neighbor
Same thing happened to me. I honestly believe offerup is running a scam. My money was taken and offer up cancelled the transaction. It's been over 10 days and no money returned. I filed a police report and reporting offerup to the BBB. This should be illegal what they are doing. Eventually law enforcement will ketch up with them. Im suing in small claims court com Monday. I even emailed their legal department and no response.