Cell phone number verification

Level 2
hi factsdontcare this is just a forum. What does FYI have anything todo with whatever said and done here? Does OfferUp internal messaging service built ontop of Google Voice Facebook engine or does it compete with a SMS cellular paging service? These werent required when OfferUp was new.

@revtrust 

If you are experiencing the "cell phone number verification" issue, the GV option is a FREE potential solution, which has worked for other users in the past.

A forum is just a space to share info and ideas, which is why I replied within this chain. Others have indicated that VOIP numbers do not work, so I just suggested GV as a possible solution, hence I used the "for your information" acronym. I apologize if I have offended you in any way, as it was not my intent.

In regards to your questions..."NO"...is the answer to both questions. I believe this "cell phone number verification" security inquiry is only sent to only specific users.

Level 2
Heyagain. i have a feeling that OU like other services starting clamping down in this manner when another org passes the safety & security option back to the host. Meaning, i flout law enforcement as a deterrent but then law enforcement gets enough patronage on a certain modus operandi (lala Offer Up) that a LEO arranges or recommends for OU to clamp down as tgey are doing now when in-fact the measured option or opinion of the LEO is completely unqualified to the job they forecast to be done in the future than what was requested indicidually prior.

or i can just say that law enforcement is the solution and the problem: making people depend on them, while preventing people from competing or defending from criminals and felons, and then passing us their cludgy legacy like using firearms to enforce laws or penalizing by money to people that have irrespective more or less money.

Why cant OU just be the iriginal Offer Up? eBay failed the same way. Craigslist is still gasping for air on it's way to the bottom.

Why cant OU just be the iriginal Offer Up? eBay failed the same way. Craigslist is still gasping for air on it's way to the bottom.

I don't know where you are getting your facts, but Craigslist is (by far) #1 in regards to net profit (by the aggregated info dispersed by majority of the digital marketplace consulting groups/firms). eBay is in a FAR 2nd place (when estimating net profit). All the other apps, including OfferUp will not make a profit for many years (if ever). Just the monthly burn rate for these selling apps are in the double digit millions.

The irony is that Craigslist's revenue has increased (over $1 billion in 2018) while the number of active users has decreased.

Level 2
i never use my phone service. onto 4th request to meet with someone and says i cant continue until attach a qualified mobile ph. whats goin on here? why now and not 2 years ago?

@revtrust wrote:
i never use my phone service. onto 4th request to meet with someone and says i cant continue until attach a qualified mobile ph. whats goin on here? why now and not 2 years ago?

@revtrust 

You will probably not get a real answer, but the algorithm flags some "types" of behaviors and hand-outs some mandates, whether it be just to attach a phone number to the account or an invitation to join Truyou in order to continue using the app.  Basically, it is an indirect tactic to increase the level of  user accountabilty.

It's not unusual for any type of e-commerce app that involves the exchange of $$$ to ask further verification processes. If it was up to OU, the app would be more secure if every user was Truyou verified, at which point it would be a direct competitor to eBay.

Level 2
an indirect tactic to accountability? none of that makes into a bill of sale. u try tradingvwith someone on borders of Inglewood or Compton or Watts. do you feel saferborvmote secure with a phone or a condom or a CCL pistola.

@revtrust 

The thought process is that if everyone knows your true identity, you are less likely to scam/steal/etc. This is the purpose of the verification processes.

I have no trouble with visiting Compton, Watts, and Inglewood without being armed, as there is a lot of cheap Creole (but good) food in/around Slauson and Western. Although one of fav's is Harold & Belle's on Jefferson.

Level 2
of course you are comfortable in a private premise an not a public place like what OfferUp rules establish. try it a few times and hang around for a game of chess.

@revtrust 

I have been buying stuff in South Central even before the existence of Google and have never been robbed. Remember, the weekly paper edition of "The Recycler"? If not, it was basically Craigslist on print before CL even existed.  Back then...people called each other  on landline phones, wrote down the address (using pen/pencil on real paper), etc.