Community Forums Content

Level 9

@jdizzle147  What makes you think that? Just curious. Thank you and would like to hear more from you.

Level 1

Jones68, 

OfferUp is considered part of the sharing economy. If you're not familiar with that term, it is an economic system in which assets or services are shared between private individuals, either free or for a fee, typically by means of the internet. Just like Uber, Airbnb, etc. The IRS has caught wind of people making money without reporting it and want a piece of the pie as usual. OfferUp tracks your sales and purchases, and now they have your credit card information to track you down if it becomes excessive without paying taxes.  This is all my own theory, but it seems to make perfect sense to me.
Level 9

@jdizzle147 @Jones68  that actually makes sense! I myself am for less government. Most of what I do in my life is my business not Uncle Sam's.

Community Helper
Welcome to the Community forums
@jdizzle147
I wonder if that is why our "sold" counts were deleted and kind of started over. Maybe it is tracked from that day forward. Very interesting theory for sure
Community Manager

Hmmmm, as an employee of OfferUp for over 3 years, I really don't know if this theory has any truth to it. I could be wrong, but I certainly haven't heard anything like this. 

Also, I feel as though any data would be inaccurate for the most part. While a large percentage of our user base use the "Sold" option in the right way, several users still mark items at sold just to remove it from the selling page.

Level 9

@Mj_206   I remove stuff like that all the time. LOL! A delete button would be better. LOL Had to put that in there.