Crash Course 101 For New Members

SOLVED
Level 9

Do you think an OfferUp Crash Course 101 for new members would be beneficial? Perhaps a video that would help you navigate the many features and  provide useful information to prepare our new members for success in our Offerup Community. Kinda like the Welcome Wagon.

I know we have Pro Tips, Welcome, Help and Search, and much more, however, I found that I had to  jump from this conversation to the next and kinda got bounced around before I found my answer. A very confusing process for beginners. I didn’t know what I didn’t know so my search keywords did not always prove successful.

I suggest topics like: notifications how to turn on and off,

Boards how and why they are useful, how to create and delete. Show examples

Quick Save how to create and delete

Archives & Restore

Profile components

Badges

Let me know what you think about a crash course. What topics would you include?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
OfferUp employee

I think that's a great idea @Shupat. I know we've thrown around the idea of creating new forums, perhaps a "Features" forum describing features in detail and asking for your feedback on them. I'm excited to follow this thread to see what other members of the community think Smiley Happy

24 REPLIES 24
OfferUp employee

I think that's a great idea @Shupat. I know we've thrown around the idea of creating new forums, perhaps a "Features" forum describing features in detail and asking for your feedback on them. I'm excited to follow this thread to see what other members of the community think Smiley Happy

Great suggestions @Shupat, along with your ideas, I believe some key helpful hints are to make sure your posting the best possible photograph of your idem "first", because that's the one that will show up on the add (not the 2nd or 3rd picture) although once a potential customer opens up your post, they can thumb through sll the photos that you posted...only the 1st photo will show up in the main feed, so if your first photo is not a good clear representation of your idem....chances are it will not get any attention.
Second, please remember to add any pertinent size information (like shoe size, shirt/dress/pants/coat, hat or helmet size ect, and in some cases a brand name really helps (like a auto part brand/number, guitars brand/model number, compressor model/serial number ect). These are things that (if not originally posted in your ad) will get you many inquires about, and you will spend much time answering the same questions over and over again.
This is JMHO but I truly believe it will not only increase your amount of sales, but decrease your time spent online.
Enjoy listing your items, I hope to see all your ads soon 😀
Tammy 🎸⚘🐾😁
Level 9

@Tammy-Gurwell

Thanks for the terrific advice. I am cataloging an estate and since I have the item in hand for the estate catalog I simply add it to my offerup page. Easy peasy right? Now, I am going to take your advice with excellent sharp photos and detailed descriptions. I will soon see my items moving quickly. However, I think my location might be a drawback. Allow me to explain, last week I had four different inquiries on various $20 items and when they realized I was 40 minutes to an hour away they backed out. If I start meeting folks halfway I will need to up my prices to make my travel cost effective. I signed up for the nationwide shipping feature but everyone does not have that option yet. So, raise prices??? I am willing to travel. If I raise prices will they buy??? Conundrum for sure.

Level 9

Hello @Tammy-Gurwell,

I am just checking in... How are things with you? I took your advice and it is paying off. My sales are slowly but steadily increasing. Thank you.

Level 1
I need help on how to get contact area on New posts on my listing. I have leather chair for $75.00 listed now. I tried to list phone number but it was kicked off post. Do not have offer arrow are anything showing. Can't find help. John
OfferUp employee

@Jesse54 Hey there, just sent you a private message to your message about this same topic. We are not allowing personal info to be included in posts. That's probably the reason why. 

Level 1
I get that now but nothing is showing on the post as a way to contact me. Jesse54
OfferUp employee

@Jesse54 That's because we ask people to talk to each other through our messaging system. That's where communication should take place. 

Level 1
How does someone message me frim thr posting pzge?