Dishonest people

SOLVED
Highlighted
Level 1
Hello everyone! I’m new to offer up Smiley Happy I’ve actually bought a few things, only from the same person and had a good experience. On Sunday I sold my first item on here. The lady did a porch pick up. This is the way I’ve done for years through other buying/selling sites. I did feel a weird vibe with her but went ahead anyway. She asked me to take $25 for an item I listed for $35. We met in the middle at $27. To make a long story short she showed, left $20 under my mat, claimed her husband only had a $100 bill so she’d bring the rest later that day. Each day I’ve asked her to bring my money and she hasn’t. $7 seems like nothing, but it’s what’s owed to me and it’s principle. She has since stopped responding to my messages over the last 24 hours. What would you all do in this circumstance? Is this how offer up works? If so I don’t want to shop or sell on here anymore. Thank you for any suggestions Smiley Happy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
I'm sorry to hear your buyer was dishonest..it does happen. It's happened to me quite a few times in my career as a seller. It's kind of like riding a bike..you will fall off a couple times when you first start to learn.

I did..lol. I got up, clenched my jaw & tried again. With each fall, I learned something new each time. Not all buyers are like the one you encountered. Ive had my fair share, as any seller has & will(I've had dozens). There is always be a rotten apple or two in a bushel of apples.

If you should change your mind & wish to try again here are some tips to make things smoother.

1.Meet in a public place, daylight hours. Close to an entrance, where plenty of people are within sight & hearing distance (I'm also a former self-defense teacher lol)
2.Offer no personal information - phone number, address, etc. Just because they may have a profile picture, facebook account etc - you still don't know them.
3.Do not hand over an expensive item until money is first in your hand. Phone, tablet, laptop, jewelry etc.
4.Expect low-ball offers. Everyone likes a deal. It's annoying, yes, but a large part of the aspect. Some buyers just like to haggle.
5.Price items at what you consider fair. Tack on a couple bucks to act as a leeway, to allow a buyer to bargain with you.
6.If someone makes you feel uncomfortable, wether online or in person, you have every right to walk away. Trust your instincts.

I also agree with you -- while it is only $7.00, its money owed to you by agreement for YOUR items bought with your own hard-earned money. What she did was low..even insulting.
6 REPLIES 6
Community Helper
Welcome to the OU Community...
@Lovesmoores!
Understandably, a very unpleasant first selling experience. Have found since selling on e-commerce sites to: "Trust my instincts".
In hindsight, I am hoping you will heed more on the side of caution, when dealing with strangers and giving out your home address. This is how some "people" operate. Personally, would let this one go and chalk it up as a lesson learned.
GLTU and stay safe! Smiley Wink
Level 1
Thanks for the reply. Yep going to chalk up to a lesson learned. Just baffles me people do operate this way. Appreciate your suggestion! Think this will be my one and only offer up selling transaction. lol! Have a wonderful night Smiley Happy
I'm sorry to hear your buyer was dishonest..it does happen. It's happened to me quite a few times in my career as a seller. It's kind of like riding a bike..you will fall off a couple times when you first start to learn.

I did..lol. I got up, clenched my jaw & tried again. With each fall, I learned something new each time. Not all buyers are like the one you encountered. Ive had my fair share, as any seller has & will(I've had dozens). There is always be a rotten apple or two in a bushel of apples.

If you should change your mind & wish to try again here are some tips to make things smoother.

1.Meet in a public place, daylight hours. Close to an entrance, where plenty of people are within sight & hearing distance (I'm also a former self-defense teacher lol)
2.Offer no personal information - phone number, address, etc. Just because they may have a profile picture, facebook account etc - you still don't know them.
3.Do not hand over an expensive item until money is first in your hand. Phone, tablet, laptop, jewelry etc.
4.Expect low-ball offers. Everyone likes a deal. It's annoying, yes, but a large part of the aspect. Some buyers just like to haggle.
5.Price items at what you consider fair. Tack on a couple bucks to act as a leeway, to allow a buyer to bargain with you.
6.If someone makes you feel uncomfortable, wether online or in person, you have every right to walk away. Trust your instincts.

I also agree with you -- while it is only $7.00, its money owed to you by agreement for YOUR items bought with your own hard-earned money. What she did was low..even insulting.
Community Helper
Great safety tips to remember...
@MidnightAntiqui
Am all for self-defense and it being a priority... both my children were in Martial Arts. I applaud your contributions to strengthening our youth with self-confidence, self-discipline and personal inner strength. All Teachers are V.I.P
Ciao´ for now OU friend Smiley Wink
:-) I can now add Scentsy Dealer to my growing list of occupations. Lol. :-)
Level 4
Sorry to hear this happened. Porch pick up seems like a recipe for disaster. I would highly encourage you to only meet face to face and don't take any sob story about them not having enough dough. There are scammers out there that will take advantage of any signs of weakness or/ and kindness.